whats the max i can do with a 400 block?

noissesboyobyalp

Amateur Racer
Jan 8, 2009
suffolk, long island new york
i got a guy that has 3 400 blocks with 4 bolt mains, said he had them boiled and there fine. going to be a drag motor with a solid roller and afr 227 heads, i dont want to put it togather and over heat it. it will be driven 20 miles to car shows every weekend, and on the track too

crd89stang

Dragway Regular
Jun 19, 2005
attleboro ma
i like to keep my 400 to a max of .030 on a streeter with no hardblock with the hardblock i would go more depending on a sonic check

A

Anonymous

The only problem with the 4 bolt block is that the webbing for the main's are weaker then the 2 bolt block, so too much compression or boost could cause you some trouble there.
4.155 bore is the max I'd go on it, and go with a 5.7 or longer rod.

80montecarlo

Dragway Regular
Apr 24, 2008
cloverdale b.c. canada
as stated above I would try and source a 2 bolt main block, they are stronger

A

Anonymous

noissesboyobyalp said:
yeah bore is gunna be 4.155, 6 inch rods, i want to make it a 434 but how much clearencing will i have to do to make it fit a 4.00?

I have run a 434 for quit a while now with no problems.
The clearencing is something I did not haveanything to do with as I bought mine from a circle track racer ready to run, but it looks like about a 1/4"(+/-) from the rod bolt on my 6" rods.
And I was told by the machine shop that sonic checked it that it was very close to the water jackets.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts