Mechanical fan removal question

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
I prefer to use a mechanical fan setup vs. electric fans for this swap, since this really isn't a "performance" setup.

Unfortunately, the fan is mostly outside of the shroud. I'm hoping I can fab an extension to put the fan in the correct location in the shroud. I have tried to remove the spacer/fan with a strap wrench holding the pulley, but the strap broke before the spacer would come loose. I've soaked it in WD40 a several times. Still no luck. Any suggestions on how to get this thing loose from the pulley? Maybe some heat?

Here is how it is now:
fan_shroud_small.jpg

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
I cant offer a whole lot of help here, but I did just verify that the threads are right handed on mine.

Luckily(so it sounds like) mine came with the fan removed already. Good luck! I hate stupid problems like this.

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
how about extending the shroud back, add a few inches to the round part, it only has to cover 1/2 the width of the blade

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
I thought about that, but I would like the extra clearance for the air intake. It is dangerously close to the fan blades now. I'm using one almost identical to yours.

A

Anonymous

the threads are reverse. i did this with me, there is a special tool i had to use to get mine off i borrowed from a friend at a local shop. special wrench.

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
roughskinjrz said:
the threads are reverse. i did this with me, there is a special tool i had to use to get mine off i borrowed from a friend at a local shop. special wrench.
Hmmm...since I only studied the threads and determined mine were right handed(didnt actually screw a nut onto it) id have to believe you are right then. Either that or mine is different. Damn threads looked right handed to me!

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Do you have an air chisel? :lol: Thats how we used get them off at the Phord dealership, and on that motor I dont for sure which threads they are. I've seen different manufacturers have them each direction. If your careful you can save the the clutch, will just have a little mark in it, but there is a special tool to take them on and off. Anyone you know that you could borrow it from?

BOB-O

Daily Driver
Apr 17, 2007
North -O- Houston
I dont know which way to turn but the easy way to break it loose is to: put your wrench on the big nut, apply a little pressure in the direction to loosen, while holding the pulley, hit the wrench, close the end, with an air chisel. It will be a 2 man job having to hold the pulley, wrench, and air chisel. It'll prolly be hard to hit the wrench squarely with the air chisel but when you do it will come loose.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts