Megasquirt ???

jrdrag

Amateur Racer
Feb 8, 2007
Rochester, NY
Well guys, I have spark! I decided to use a FORD EDIS ignition system on the car. Thats right no distributor at all. Instead I have 2 ford coils and a crank trigger. I think it is a pretty cool and rare setup. Combine it with the LT1 intake and it is very unusual. It will allow me to completely tune the spark map for and throttle position as well as RPM. 144 bins that I can change. Pretty cool compared to vacuum advance. But as of yesterday, the system was firing the plugs at about the right time, judging by eye. Haven't tried to put any fuel to it and I can't for a few weeks since I am back at school.

Jackstand

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 6, 2003
KANSAS CITY, MO
jrdrag said:
Well guys, I have spark! I decided to use a FORD EDIS ignition system on the car. Thats right no distributor at all. Instead I have 2 ford coils and a crank trigger. I think it is a pretty cool and rare setup. Combine it with the LT1 intake and it is very unusual. It will allow me to completely tune the spark map for and throttle position as well as RPM. 144 bins that I can change. Pretty cool compared to vacuum advance. But as of yesterday, the system was firing the plugs at about the right time, judging by eye. Haven't tried to put any fuel to it and I can't for a few weeks since I am back at school.

good job.. MS can be very confusing, but if you take your time and double check everything it works good!

jrdrag

Amateur Racer
Feb 8, 2007
Rochester, NY
Jackstand said:
jrdrag said:

good job.. MS can be very confusing, but if you take your time and double check everything it works good!

I can certainly see that. I tried to double and triple check everything but I am always nervous about some little wiring mistake or something that I won't be able to find right away. I am not all that worried about it but i is always in the back of my head, ya know?

jrdrag

Amateur Racer
Feb 8, 2007
Rochester, NY
Hey Guys,

Well, it works! Not very well right now but its not the MS's fault. I couldn't figure out how to adjust the fuel at the point the engine was currently running so I struggled a bit. But it did run. Also didn't have a timing light handy to set the timing. The final problem was that the IAC motor wouldn't run to let the car idle. We had to hold the throttle open a bit to take care of that.

I am headed home to really get it running this weekend.

Caleb

eldabo

Pro Stocker
Aug 10, 2006
Mobile,Alabama
Whats the word ???????????

jrdrag

Amateur Racer
Feb 8, 2007
Rochester, NY
IT RUNS! After a few minor glitches in the system, it runs. I didn't drive it or anything yet but it idled on its own for a good while in the garage. Seemed to have decent throttle response but can't tell til I drive it. I have a fair amount of tuning ahead of me but I find that exciting. Still seems to be pretty rich even though the wideband says it isn't. Haven't figured that part out yet. I am going to try to tune the idle to maximize the MAP signal and see how that goes.

Caleb

A

Anonymous

Check my write-up to read how I converted my 406 to Megasquirt:

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/c/l/clindh/MPFI1.html

You will have to
icon_reading.gif
icon_reading.gif
icon_reading.gif
and you will learn a lot about fuel injection if you are successful. I just recently upgraded to MS2 and have a Palm PDA acting as a permanent gauge / datalogger. The Palm can also tune but I haven't had time to try it.

Megasquirt takes a lot of time to get right if you are new to fuel injection.

Also, a wideband O2 sensor is a must, don't bother with a narrow band.

injected

Frequent Racer
Dec 21, 2006
Quebec , Canada
chree said:
Check my write-up to read how I converted my 406 to Megasquirt:

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/c/l/clindh/MPFI1.html

You will have to
icon_reading.gif
icon_reading.gif
icon_reading.gif
and you will learn a lot about fuel injection if you are successful. I just recently upgraded to MS2 and have a Palm PDA acting as a permanent gauge / datalogger. The Palm can also tune but I haven't had time to try it.

Megasquirt takes a lot of time to get right if you are new to fuel injection.

Also, a wideband O2 sensor is a must, don't bother with a narrow band.
nice work !

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts