my home made rear disc setup

A

Anonymous

The axle is an 8.5. The rotors are the rears from an '02 Trans Am. The calipers are stock metric calipers, and the pads are too. The caliper bracket is home made out of 1/4" steel. Right now it is just bolted on but I will be welding the bracket onto the rear and shaping the bracket a little to make it look a little nicer.

img0298lr9.jpg

img0299ed0.jpg

img0300ul5.jpg

img0301pn1.jpg

84montesc

Amateur Racer
Mar 24, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
s142.photobucket.com
DUDE THAT IS SLICK! when your done shaping it you should take it off and trace it or scan it on a scanner so when you are done if it works out good the rest of us could use your "template" and make us a set :lol:

A

Anonymous

If I can get my cad program working I will draw up a nice set of plans with dimensions for everyone. There's a guy local to me who can cut anything I want like this out of almost any thickness metal so I may have them professionally made up. I've just been cutting it with a scroll saw but they still come out really nice. They will work with 8.5 and 7.5 rears with or without c clip eliminators. I just had to drill a couple of holes in it. Right now they are just bolted on but I plan to weld them on there for added support. I'm very happy with the outcome. I have 20 bucks into the calipers, 40 in pads, nothing in the rotors because I got them from a friend, and 10 bucks into a piece of 1/4 plate steel that I could probably make 4 total caliper brackets out of.

As for the parking brake, the rotor has a drum on the inside so if I had all of the stuff from a Camaro/Trans Am I could probably make it work as long as it didn't interfear with the c clip eliminators. I'm not too worried about it for now though.

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
388bu said:
Looks nice. Now, just figure out the parking brake and I might just do this! :lol:

Install a rear line lock? shrug.gif Would that be too much of a battery drain?

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
lurchsmalibu said:
388bu said:
Looks nice. Now, just figure out the parking brake and I might just do this! :lol:

Install a rear line lock? shrug.gif Would that be too much of a battery drain?
Never thought of that. I am guessing it would kill the battery after a bit. I wonder if they make a line lock that holds its pressure mechanically somehow? Hmmm...

nastynavy

Frequent Racer
Dec 17, 2004
Lafayette, IN
Looks nice. If you end up making these let me know because I have the rear LS1 brakes just laying around waiting to go on.

ft80bu

Amateur Racer
Jan 7, 2006
Moville,Iowa
Never thought of that. I am guessing it would kill the battery after a bit. I wonder if they make a line lock that holds its pressure mechanically somehow? Hmmm...

At a place I used to work there was an old fork lift that had a sometype of mechancal valve to hold brake pressure. This was not a stock piece but it did work fairly well, I am not sure that I would trust it on my car.

ft80bu

Amateur Racer
Jan 7, 2006
Moville,Iowa
How expensive are the cadillac rear caliper with the built in parking brakes?

You could probably make a simular brake to mount them. Just an Idea.

Frank

mc1984ss

Frequent Racer
Apr 19, 2004
Wisconsin
your average line lock shoul dnot be used as a line lock. Where i used to work however they had a manual valve that sounds similar to the above mentioned forklift one. You flip a small lever and you have a parking brake, or a line lock, and it is meant to be left on. It was made for medium duty trucks and was expensive at around $300

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts