New guy 79 factory 4 speed wagon.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
IMG_7540.jpeg

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Tearing it all apart again. Passenger side head is off obviously. I stopped working at 9:30pm. Drivers side header is loose and dangling in there. I’m hoping I don’t have to take it out and undo all the clutch linkage/z bar stuff but that will be for tomorrow.
IMG_7544.jpeg
IMG_7549.jpeg

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
You're well on your way.

I recommend replacing that parasitic fan with a clutch fan (easy option) or electric fan (more complex option).

Also, when I put headers on my Monte Carlo, I ran the positive battery cable along the oil pan rail and out by the fuel pump, to avoid any accidental contact with a hot header primary. I had to get a longer cable. I thought I posted the pictures here, but don't see them.

I was able to find an NOS GM battery cable that was the right length. I don't remember the exact length, but 54 inches comes to mind. I added some clamps to some oil pan bolts to keep it in place.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Lol yea that fan has to go. That’s a pretty good idea about the battery cable. I was curious to know how hard it is to find headers for a manual trans gbody these days. My headers are hooker super comps, I wonder if they’re still available today?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
It looks like your Super Comps aren't made anymore, so be nice to them. The Hedmans that I got were the only ones with AIR fittings, but there were others that would fit that didn't have the AIR fittings...at that time.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Dang. Mine probably have MAYBE 3k miles on them. Any methods of preserving them that you know of? The original paint burned right off.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Gotcha. Another thing that I already brought up on here and have asked around about. Let me hear your opinion on whether or no I should step up to 1.6 rockers. My heads are set up for a hydraulic flat tappet cam up to .550” max lift. With 1.5’s like it is currently the lift is .519 so the 1.6’s would put it right at the limit. 2 people I’ve ask thus far said go for it and only one said he would be hesitant. It’s going to go to as many car shows as possible but make 1 or 2 trips to the strip every summer.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts