New guy 79 factory 4 speed wagon.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
If you’re bored, that’s the method I used. I thought it was way too easy and I must’ve been doing something wrong. I leaned over the fender and the grill of the car and tried to turn my head upside down and from what I could tell the roller on the rocker was pretty centered on the valve.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
A final check is to color the top of the valve stem with a Sharpie. Put the adjustable pushrod and rocker arm back on. Then, turn the engine over a full revolution. Remove the rocker arm and confirm the wear pattern is centered on the tip of the valve stem.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
I took your advice but it was with a new $150 set of chrome moly push rods I got. My measurement came out to 7.8125 but could only get a 7.8” inch push rod. Colored the top of the valve with a sharpie and spun the motor over twice. Anything stick out or look off? Maybe a wee tiny bit toward the top of the valve? Could that be where I’m missing the additional .0125?
IMG_7685.jpeg

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Tried to hold the light as best I could go pick up the two marks. One on the left is the new push rod, the one on the right is the original ones. Pretty close I think. Measuring with a ruler on beat up work bench I came up with ~7.75 inches for the original ones but searching online shows 7.794.
IMG_7690.jpeg

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
It was from oil that’s still sitting in/on the rocker. If I do the fuel lines on my truck tomorrow I might stop at the local orileys because they have a bunch of pushrods in stock. I might buy a single 7.84 and run the test again and see what I come up with just for the heck of it. I’ve had 3 people now tell me it’s fine. I guess I see why people use a caliper to measure instead of an old ruler. Jegs told me they would let me switch the 7.8 pushrods out with longer ones without having to pay the $15 restocking fee if they didn’t work luckily. I’m probably just over thinking it. Is it true that if the rocker sits too high on the valve you can lose some of your cam lift?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
You want the pattern in the center of the stem. Too much on either extreme means excess side force on the stem...improper geometry. I imagine the improper geometry will cause excess guide wear. If the pattern is not centered, there will be a loss of lift, but not likely enough to worry about.
The pattern on the new pushrods looks good to 3 people. I just thought it would be interesting to know if the stock pushrods produced a pattern that was as good if not better than the new pushrods.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Ill run the test again with the original push rods and probably buy a single slightly longer one to see if/how much it changes

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts