New guy 79 factory 4 speed wagon.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Sorry for the late reply.

The T5 is a very similar shape, but the T10 is more of a direct swap for the Saginaw. You will not need any crossmember modifications. You can use the Saginaw transmission mount, and your crossmember and driveshaft (with a front yoke change).

Before you buy any shifter parts, first make the Saginaw shifter bracket fit the T10 so that the shifter will be the same distance from the front of the transmission as when the bracket was on the Saginaw. Also be mindful of the left/right location. Then, your shifter will come out of the floor in the right place. Measure, measure, measure.

Don't buy a different shifter. You already have all the parts you need. The 2nd gen Camaro shifter has an offset lever (where the handle bolts to) because the handle comes out near the center of the floor. The handle is then bent towards the left. Your shifter comes out on the side of the floor with a relatively straight handle. When you fit the shifter in the same 3D location in space as it was on the Saginaw, you can use the same hole in the floor and the same handle that you already have. When I suggested a 1955-1957 shifter handle, that was assuming you would use the T10 mounting holels and make a new hole farther back in the floor, and would need the U-shaped handle to get around the front of the bench seat.

I think the Shift levers from the Saginaw will fit the T10, but not certain. If not, see how much effort it is to make them fit. If not, source new levers. They are hardened, so beware.

The 2nd gen Camaro shift rods will be longer than you need, because the shifter is located farther back on the transmission.

I feel you already have more than enough shift rod length, since your rods already have a lot of extra thread showing at the shifter end. The only challenge I foresee is modifying your reverse shift rod to fit. It may have to be shaped like a U rather than straight.

Keep us updated! The result will be satisfying.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Interesting. I’ll definitely be updating this daily pretty much. I’m on my way out of work to head to the shop now. Really appreciate all of your help by the way!

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Didn’t get much done last night. Helped my brother do brakes, a power steering pump, and some ujoints in a Lexus before I got to tinkering with the wagon. Swept it out really good and noticed this weird white stuff all over the back of the bench seat. No idea what it is but I could wipe it off. Also I rubbed a little wax in on one the front fender because the entire car as you can see the paint on the entire car started to turn light for some reason but the wax brought the color back. I’m going yo claybar the whole thing before I wax it. Also, do you have any idea why the steering wheel is super sticky? I’m pretty sure Ive read about it happening before with gbody cars but can’t remember why. I’m going to look it up again.
007D72B6-CB3E-4AB4-83DA-FA88E4BF20FC.jpeg
6D52D65D-0510-4B6F-97AC-4E7777DB2B0F.jpeg

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I don't know what that white stuff is. It doesn't look like mold growing in colonies.

What type of steering wheel do you have? The soft ones can get sticky, and it is chronic. Even if you can remove the stickiness, it returns. I had a 4-spoke steering wheel from an Oldsmobile 442 and removed all the stickiness, but it returned.

I haven't seen a standard hard steering wheel get sticky. The white on the paint may be oxidation from sun exposure.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
I’ll have to grab a picture of it Monday when I make it back up there too much fun yard work to do with the girlfriend tomorrow. It doesn’t have the 4 spoke wheel (I’m pretty certain I know the one you’re talking about) it just has 2 “spokes” I guess you could say

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Yep that’s the one. Also funny thing I noticed looking at that link, mine currently has air bags in the rear

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
3609DEB0-5C17-4B6E-B475-FE82F59D69FC.png

That’s a picture I took to show my dad how close the tire is to the frame and you can see the old bag. Is it true that back section of the frames on gbody cars rot out fairly often?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The rear tires are always close to the frame. On my 1986 MCSS, with original 215/65/15 tires, you couldn't get a finger between the tire and the frame.

Yes, the rear of the frame rots in salt belt country. My 1987 aerocoupe needs the right side replaced. I only drove my 1986 in the snow once due to an emergency, so it is solid.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts