New guy 79 factory 4 speed wagon.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
My girlfriend lives in Grove city so I spend a lot of time out there. A fella on a duramax forum told me about the Medina show but at this point I don’t think I’m going to be able to make it or if I do it won’t be with the wagon. Every time I get off 665 and turn onto 104 out near grove city there’s a house out there with a couple g body malibus parked back off the road a ways. I’m always curious to know if he’s got a stash of parts in his barn

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Question for anyone that might know….back when my dad originally put the 350 in this car he put a Borg and Beck pressure plate and a hays clutch in it. My dad has been going to jegs to get parts for me while I’m at work and they told him they didn’t have a 10.5 inch 26 spline clutch disc for a super t10. I just checked the website and it shows one in stock. My brother said all the people at the last jegs store that’s still open in central Ohio are a bunch of idiots and probably just wanted to sell an entire $450 clutch kit. He wanted me to ask if the borg and beck pressure plate would be ok to use because he’s not 100% sure if the discs are interchangeable with say a diaphragm type clutch. I haven’t been up here since Tuesday and was hoping to put the new clutch in tonight but now I’m set back another couple of days because I won’t be back up here until Monday. Thanks in advance

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
I just said the heck with it and ordered a new flywheel and mcleod super street pro clutch. There was some discoloration on the flywheel and the pressure plate so I just bought all new. That borg and beck pressure plate didn’t have more than 3k miles on it and probably less than 10 drag strip passes with the stock rearend and a very mild 350 though. This is my first in depth go round with a manual trans and I didn’t know if the markings on the pressure plate were normal wear or if it was screwed up so…

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
75C83F13-3B40-408D-91E7-277BC3FBC448.jpeg

2327AB44-4563-4183-827C-91EAD45446C2.jpeg

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The flywheel could use a slight clean up.

Every flywheel I have had resurfaced resulted in a chattering clutch. I don't know if the cut was an improper grit or their mill was not properly square. Original Uncut flywheels that I have just sanded never chattered.

Note you have a lightweight flywheel; there is little material beyond the friction surface. Did you get another lightweight flywheel?

Do you know what make/model headers are on the car, that fit with the mechanical clutch linkage?

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
I do not know what make the headers are. I’ll asks my dad tonight when I see him if he does. The flywheel I ordered was 30 lbs. I think 30 lbs was the only 153 tooth one I saw on Mcleods website but I could be wrong. Did I screw up?

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
I can’t imagine the stock cast iron flywheel weighed much less than that but maybe it did??

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The published weights on Summit Racing show about 16 lbs for the factory light weight flywheel. I take it you haven't weighed yours, yet.

The heavier flywheel will have more inertia making launching easier. The lighter flywheel will rev quicker.

Most of the steel flywheels on Summit Racing seem to be about 28 lbs, but some are lighter at 16 lbs. Some seem to be lightened more on the reverse side than on the edges.

Do you know the year of the block in the car, which determines which bolt pattern you need?

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
When I ran the casting number for the block it said 69-79 350 4 bolt main car/truck/vette. I ordered a 30 pound steel flywheel. I’ll have to post the one I ordered before long. I think it said it was for a 55-85 small block Chevy or 70-90’s big block? I paid $295 for it and initially thought a small block Chevy flywheel would’ve been a lot cheaper. Lol you’re starting to worry me now.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts