New guy 79 factory 4 speed wagon.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Awesome I really appreciate all of your help. I made an account on a s-10 forum just to ask if any guys had a source for column parts. One member said he has a manual trans/tilt column out of an 86 that he would sell me if I could use it so I might buy it to scavenge parts. Then again my brother found a bowl and I called the company to explain my situation and the guy told me it should work but it’s $165. I’ve got some options.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
On another note, my dad took the carburetor to his friends house and they rebuilt it together. I really wanted to be there for it but I was at work and didn’t even know they had it scheduled. I’ve read a lot of Holley vs Quadra jet debates and have always been curious about the inner workings of a carb. Mine probably didn’t even have 2k miles on it but my dad was right about the old gas sitting in it. It was pretty crusty from the pictures he showed me. They replaced the secondary jets because they were too far gone. It had 67 primaries and 73 secondaries out of the box. Jegs didn’t have any 73’s in stock so they went with 74’s. All of that is over my head. My dad also said the power valve was pretty shot. I’ve got a ziplock bag with all of the old parts on it that I was going through and asking what was what. Really would’ve liked to have been there

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
It’s all set on there now. That was before I adjusted the throttle cable too.
IMG_8877.jpeg

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
There is an NOS shroud on eBay for $150+$10.

The S10 column will be a good source for all the parts you need, if you can get it for a good price. The S10 shroud will be shorter, but see if you can get pictures of the column and a length measurement of the shroud. Then, see how it compares to yours.

You can measure from the bracket that bolts to the dash to the bottom of your shroud for a relative idea of where the end of the S10 shroud will be. Then, you can take that measurement to the car and measure from the studs that the bracket mounts to and see how it will look on the car.

It was good to go through the carburetor. The accelerator pumps were also likely bad. In 1980, I bought a new 650 double pumper, List 4777. I remember it having 68 primary jets and 72 secondary jets. The larger the jet size number, the larger the diameter, so more fuel will flow through it. If they are too big, it will run rich.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
I sent some pictures of my column to the guy that had the s10 column to compare. I did read that the bowl could be shorter but I can’t quite remember if any of it is tucked back up underneath the dash at all??? I’ll have to measure and ask him for measurements like you said. I’d hate to have big gap between the two. I want it to look as original as possible

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
My brother just sent me this screenshot of a bowl he found. I really have to get with the neighbor that has my column and quit screwing around just don’t want to lose my temper lol
Messenger_creation_6728f9b3-ff5f-422b-a398-6430d2934d22_14644436135557.jpeg

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
That is the part number I gave you for the 1986-1990 S10 (7846295).

If the 1986 S10 picture you get shows a good measurement, you can weigh the cost of the used column vs. the cost of new/used individual parts.

I measured the distance from the dash to the end of the shroud. You can compare this measurement to the 1986 S10 picture you get and see if it will work.

If it will work, start searching for that shroud part number and find the best deal.

20240501_152114.jpg

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I found the Brock part on eBay sold by a few different people for different prices and different part numbers. The best price I see is $36, shipped, which may be reasonable.

You can use the Brock website to confirm applicability. You can expand each row to reveal the particular years applicable.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Yep $36 is what I saw. Now for the big question…..what are the chances is some garbage from over seas that’s going to have fitment issues or something breaks?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts