Pinion angle help please!

bbaehr22x

Dragway Regular
Mar 21, 2005
North Ridgeville, ohio
I am resetting my pinion angle after changing it last year to try clearing a vibration issue. The vibration was the yoke of the driveshaft and not the suspension. This is what I currently have

The car is has a ladder bar suspension. I believe I want 1-2° of pinion angle. I was told that I always want the driveshaft running down towards the rear. Has anyone else heard that? I do not believe I can achieve that with the current placement of the motor. Should I just adjust rotate the pinion up so the difference in pinion and driveshaft angles are around 2°?

BTW - I'm no artist!

MALI-WHO

Daily Driver
Jan 2, 2010
Huber Heights, Ohio
From looking at you diagram the rearend needs the pinion rotated up! The pinion needs to run parallel with the engine/trans! I shoot for 2* on the pinion and 2* on the engine/trans. I would place a shim between your trans and trans mount to try and achieve this, then rotate your pinion upward to get it at 2*. Rule of thumb is to have the same degree on the pinion angle and engine and trans angle and these angles should never intersect! Hope this helps some...

bbaehr22x

Dragway Regular
Mar 21, 2005
North Ridgeville, ohio
That is what I have been reading everywhere. Unfortunately I had the motor and mid plates welded in using the stock motor mounts. So I can't change that without redoing it. I am also unsure of having the rear pointing up. Ill try it out and see what happens I guess. Thanks.

woody31

Frequent Racer
the engine and trans must be level,,,with the car on level flat concrete surface,,remove carb and check at carb base,,it must be level,,any other work will be pointless untill you do this first,,,

lasttime78

Frequent Racer
Mar 7, 2011
Just outside Rochester, New York
woody31 said:
the engine and trans must be level,,,with the car on level flat concrete surface,,remove carb and check at carb base,,it must be level,,any other work will be pointless untill you do this first,,,

x2, Must be level before you start!!!!

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
All I can say is my engine is mounted in the stock location. Engine is tilted down in the back around 5 1/2 degrees. I see no reason to change the engine angle to make a car work, or to get rid of a vibration.

Can't drop the front as the oil pan will hit the crossmember and steering, can't raise the tailshaft of the trans without hitting the transmission tunnel. Would take a good deal of work to get the engine level.

I also set my pinion angle 2 1/2 degrees down in relation to the driveshaft. There's several methods but IMO as long as the pinion isn't going positive it won't make much difference.

I won't argue the subject any more, will just give my .02.

Hitman

Dragway Regular
Oct 15, 2004
OKC
Carb Pad typically isn't level in relationship to the crankshaft. Most tilt forward for hood clearance.

bbaehr22x

Dragway Regular
Mar 21, 2005
North Ridgeville, ohio
Thanks for all your comments. Like I have been reading in all other research on this topic there are mixed reviews.

Todd - Thanks for your 2cents on this. Its good to hear from someone with the same situation I have and the car working. What you said also works with advice I received from a stock and super stock guy.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts