Pistons for a 30 over 350

ProJunk

Dragway Regular
Sep 12, 2006
Glendale, AZ
Pistons that are machined for floating wrist pins can still have the wrist pins press fit to factory connecting rods. You just don't end up using the wrist pin retaining devices (spirolox, true-arcs, wire rings).

dennisM

Amateur Racer
Apr 2, 2009
Bessemer, PA
ProJunk said:
Pistons that are machined for floating wrist pins can still have the wrist pins press fit to factory connecting rods. You just don't end up using the wrist pin retaining devices (spirolox, true-arcs, wire rings).

So what else (if anything) should I buy with the piston?

ProJunk

Dragway Regular
Sep 12, 2006
Glendale, AZ
360demonRT said:
how much lift can ya get out of a stock LSx spring?

LS-2/LS-6 springs will usually handle upwards of .575"-.590" lift. The other benefit is that due to the beehive design, they use a much smaller diameter retainer which saves weight over the spring. The reduced weight benefits valve control @ higher RPM, and requires less overall spring pressure to attain higher RPM. The only part you can't use on a SBC from the LSx spring package is the valve locks, as LSx valve stems are 8mm, and SBC are 11/32". This isn't a problem, as normal SBC 11/32" 7- degree valve locks will work with the stock LSx retainers.

ProJunk

Dragway Regular
Sep 12, 2006
Glendale, AZ
dennisM said:
ProJunk said:

So what else (if anything) should I buy with the piston?

The pistons will include the wrist pins and pin retention devices (which you won't use with stock press-fit rods). The only other thing you'll need is the appropriate ring package for the pistons that you purchase. You'll either end up with factory style ring grooves, which are 5/64" - 5/64" - 3/16", or thinner aftermarket ring grooves, which measure 1/16" - 1/16" - 3/16". For a basic naturally aspirated street or street/strip engine, you're not going to see a noticeable difference in performance between the two ring packages. The O.E. style rings are going to be less expensive, such as Sealed Power # E251K. If you end up with the thinner ring package, then Total Seal has one of the better deals out there on the thinner rings, which would be # CR3690. This is just a basic plasma moly ring set with standard-style gaps, not a gapless ring set.

dennisM

Amateur Racer
Apr 2, 2009
Bessemer, PA
I second that! Thanks for your patience in taking the time to explain that to me. I will be buying a piston/ring set. Going with the set with the two valve reliefs. Too bad they aren't in stock. Guess I'll be getting all my other parts before those then.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts