Poly trans mount vs solid mount

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
I've seen this topic discussed on this site a hundred times. My question is.....why would you guys WANT or NEED to run a solid trans mount? The trans mount is merely a support because the trans is cantilevered at the bellhousing. I just don't understand the logic. ](*,) Lee

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
LS6 Tommy said:
Excelerater said:
solid mounted motors use solid mounted trannys
rubber mounted motors use rubber mounted trannys(or poly)

If the motor dont move neither will the trans....Its pretty common sensical
If your busting transmission mounts you need to see why your engine is moving and or frame

With all due respect, you NEVER use solid transmission mounts. Period. The trans case is not designed to be a stressed member. It will break. It's not a matter of "if" but "when". Especially with solid engine mounts because now you've triangulated the trans mount with the engine mounts & this increases the stress load a LOT. The slightest frame flex is transferred directly to the transmission instead of being absorbed by the rubber/poly in the trans mount.

Tommy

never seen a drag car that did'nt solid mount the tranz...Mines been solid mounted forever...
Actually my tranz does not even use a mount it bolts right to the Xmember on a mounting pad
My engine uses motor plates which are tied in with the cage and frame...havent broke a tailhousing yet
wolfe23.JPG

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
Exelerater, you car looks awesome and you're right in your case, but your car has more pipe than fort knox. Your chassis can't flex obviously, but many of our cars do flex even with cages. My dad has seen trans cases crack for this reason, and that's why we don't run a solid trans mount even though we use front and rear motor plates. Someday a certified chassis will come in, and we can run it like you do.

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
mean78malibu said:
Exelerater, you car looks awesome and you're right in your case, but your car has more pipe than fort knox. Your chassis can't flex obviously, but many of our cars do flex even with cages. My dad has seen trans cases crack for this reason, and that's why we don't run a solid trans mount even though we use front and rear motor plates. Someday a certified chassis will come in, and we can run it like you do.

thats actually not my car,but mine pretty much looks the same

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Excellerator, you're also running motor plates. Good point. I should have specifically stated that unless you're running front & rear engine plates in a tube chassis, never run a solid transmission mount. :lol:

Tommy

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
Another point to be made here is that Mitch is running an aftermarket cased transmission. They are a ton stronger than the factory cases.

I have never seen anyone break a trans case due to a rubber transmission mount. I have seen too many trans cases broken as a result of running a solid transmission mount.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts