Pulling Brakes

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
I have a 78 Malibu that pulls to the left when I apply the brakes,I thought it was the right brake caliper but after changing it and new brakes the car still pulls to the left when I apply the brakes,any HELP?THANKS :( :( :(

JamesC459

Amateur Racer
Mar 30, 2004
fitzwilliam NH
Replace calipers in pairs as good practice.Replace the brake hoses because the are old.They are very inexpensive,like 14 bucks each. and while you are all dirty,adjust the rear brakes.out of adjustment rear shoes can make the car pull. also NEVER let the calipers hang on the hoses.

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
X2 with JamesC459 and to add to that (which is obvious) make sure ALL of the air is out of the system and bleed ALL of the brakes to flush the system of old brake fluid. Even remove the brake fluid from the reservoir first and refill it before you bleed the system. 8)

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
pulling the steering wheel or pulling the whole car ?? If the car itself being pulled over check the adjustment of your rear brakes and/or check for contamination on the drum linings and pads ( adjust both drums until they slightly drag when spinning the wheel ).

If the car is pulling the steering wheel out of your hand then typically it's in the front brakes somewhere. Maybe a bad caliper or something foreign in the piston bore making it drag.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
You said you replaced the caliper. Did you replace just the one side, or did you do both?

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
Replaced one side, the opposite side that was not pulling and forgot to mention that this pulling did not start until after I ran though a puddle of water.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Having a stuck caliper/pad can cause it to pull to the side that's actually stuck. If you only replaced the one opposite the side it was pulling to, you need to replace the other.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts