Rear axle alignment

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Getting ready to drop the body back on the frame. Running a Ford 9" and Spohn adjustable uppers and lowers all ploy bushed. Is is feasable to measure off the front lower ball joint grease zerks to the vertical axle center lines to get it straight? Old control arms are long gone so can't match the length. When it's ready for the frontend alignment I'll have him check the axle alignment also.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Do you know any one that owns or runs a body shop? The best way to get your axle straight is to measure from the center of the front spindle to the center of the rear axle. They make an actual "stick" that has points on ieach end to center it and it is actually a tape measure itself. Measure both sides and adjust as needed. By doing this you know your wheel base is the same on each side and the alignment can be adjusted off the drive wheels.

James Bond

Dragway Regular
Dec 26, 2005
Earth
skayser2 said:
measure off the front lower ball joint grease zerks to the vertical axle center lines

sure can...... use a plumb bob and mark it out. most circle track supply shops have tech articles on this.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
It's a PITA using the plumb method, because it's VERY hard to find a consistent reference point on these cars in terms of any sort of centerline.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
I agree......I found that out early while doing the frame notch. The zerks in the front lower control arms with fresh poly bushings torqued to specs and a set ride heigth should be as close as any other reference point on the frame. They'll end up serving as a constant for the camber/caster settings later on. Thanks for the input....I'll do that.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
I just saw it here someplace......what's the width, axle flange to axle flange, of the stock malibu rearend? My 9" was setup for the malibu but just wanna check it before the wheels and tires. Also, what were the stock lug stud length? I've got 7/16"x20x2 7/8" long studs in there now. I'm using disc's off a AMC Eagle and the center mounting flange is .260" thick. Plan on Torque Thrust II's so they need to be changed but long enough for the disc. Appreciate any help. Sorry for the too-big photo.

DCP_2753.jpg

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Just found the backing plate to backing plate measurement......52 1/2". Thanks. Anyone have the axle flange to axle flange measurement?

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
You're right.....I should have known that. Measureing diag. would square it up side to side also. Just was wondering on the flange to flange width. I'm sure I measured it years back but can't remember how close it was to stock width. I had 255's on it the first time so it must have been close. Thanks

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!