Rear Disc Brake Conversion from S-10

BAD78BU

Weekend Racer
Feb 13, 2007
Texas
Has anyone done it and what years work? I own a 1978 Malibu, I am installing a 1987 Monte SS rear. I want to make the Change SOON! :shock: :)

MEGABU

Top Fueler
Aug 20, 2007
Blue Island, IL
i don't understand why you're putting in a monte ss rear. it's the same one that's already in your 'bu. it's a very weak, spindly 7.5" 10 bolt, and there isn't a whole lot you can do to make it usable in a serious performance application.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Here's the link I posted in the other thread too, in case you missed it :)
http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38400&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

BAD78BU

Weekend Racer
Feb 13, 2007
Texas
Rear end

Well for one I was given the rear, and it is a 3.73 posi. So budget will prevail on this one. I want to later update.

BAD78BU

Weekend Racer
Feb 13, 2007
Texas
Thread

I am looking for the rear conversion, I do not see that in this thread. I see all about the front.

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
This is not the S-10 swap, but from what I've been able to uncover is very similar.......as far as mods to the rear housing.
Brake parts look identical to the S-10's?

http://www.thirdgen.org/ls1reardisc

HTH

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Yeah, there was a little talk in the original Xtreme/S-Blazer thread about the rear conversion, it was on a 12-bolt though. This is dwkohout's 12-bolt rear

dwkohout's 12-bolt rear + S10 rear discs:
1381227_48_full.jpg

1381227_51_full.jpg

1381227_50_full.jpg

1381227_46_full.jpg

Pics from the LS1 brake swap:
98%20Rear%20Brake%20Parts.jpg
Stock%20Drum%20Axle%20Flange.jpg
Finished%20Axle%20Flange.jpg

It looks to me like the S10 setup would bolt on with the same mods as the LS1 brakes.

355_79bu

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2005
Cotter, AR
Speedwaymotors sells a bolt on disc brake kit for the 7.5 for under $300. I am in the process of installing one of their bolt on kits for my 8.5. I have installed big bearing ford ends with a 10/12 bolt GM pattern. The kit was spot on. It would not work with the big bearing ford ends without some mods because they are a larger diameter than the stock GM ends, so I ended up welding them on. But if everything was stock it would have been a simple bolt on deal.

Now, remember, there is more to adding rear discs than just installing them on the rear. The stock combo or prop. valve has to go. It doesn't have the right bias for the rear discs, it has a residual pressure valve set for the drums, which keeps pressure to them to keep the rear shoes close to the drums so they will react quicker. If you add discs with that built in residual valve the rear calipers will drag and cook the rear brakes. I have researched and found the best way to fix this is to get rid of the stock combo valve and install an aftermarket adjustable one. This will require some new brake lines from the master to tie into your new adjustable prop valve and from the master to a T for the the front brakes. Another thing is the disc/drum master. It doesn't have the fluid volume necessary for disc brakes, so it has to be swapped out for a disc/disc master. I have found that a master from a 79 corvette takes care of this. One last concern would be the stock booster. Some say that a single diaphragm booster will be adequate, some say it wont. I have gone ahead and swapped mine out for a dual diaphragm booster from a later g body which was a bolt on deal. Just remember a proper brake system set up for rear discs requires a bunch more stuff than just throwing on a set of rear discs.

MEGABU

Top Fueler
Aug 20, 2007
Blue Island, IL
Re: Rear end

BAD78BU said:
Well for one I was given the rear, and it is a 3.73 posi. So budget will prevail on this one. I want to later update.
ok. you win. good reason. i digress. :lol:

BAD78BU

Weekend Racer
Feb 13, 2007
Texas
355_79bu

Hey thanks for the info. on the disc change 355_79bu. Greatly appreaciated .

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts