rear disc brake conversion

A

Anonymous

What is the easiest & least expensive way to convert stock rear drums to disc brakes on a 1979 malibu wagon? Can brackets be bought & use refurbed or used calipers? Please offer any advise that you all may have! Thanks Chris 79 wagon

Malibutomi

Frequent Racer
Sep 17, 2003
Hungary
www.hebonline.hu
Ive got custom brackets welded to my 12 bolts with B-body calipers, and S10 blazer front rotors(you need the 4wd front rotors).

4665cc87b7b86.jpg

t72ss402

Amateur Racer
Aug 12, 2007
Springfield, MO
Check out speedway motors. They have kits that you can use the metric caliper like the one on your malibu, or older standard caliper as such on early chevelles.

These kits are enexpensive. I did the brakes on my 72 Chevelle for around $175.00. That includes the proporsioning valve.

TempesT68

Mar 26, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Find a 79-81 trans am WS6 and they will have factory rear disc brakes with 10.5" rotors i believe. The backing plates, rotors, and everything else fit right on the 7.5 rear. Also any 80's 3rd f-body gen work also but have the smaller rotors.

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
I researched some parts to put a conversion together...

http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=79038

... the availability of parts is a little dependent upon whether or not you have a 3-bolt or 4-bolt axle tube flange and the axle tube diameter and the rear end size...

I have the 7.5" 3-bolt flange so that's what I researched... but any other configuration is probably easier to find parts for the conversion...

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
Anybody notice if the car seemed to take off quicker from having to turn less mass with the rotors from the drums?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts