Rear swaybars

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
LS6 Tommy said:
Doober said:
Something else I remember reading is (granted this definitely isn't the case here) if you go too big on the rear bar, the suspension will want to make the car understeer (push through the corner), just something to keep in mind...

Doober, with all due respect, that's backwards. Stablilizer bars affect the opposite end of the car they're mounted to. A bigger rear bar will decrease understeer & a bigger front bar will decrease oversteer. That's why Global West Negative Roll suspension kits don't have a rear stabilizer bar. The front grip is increased so much the car would be rediculously loose with a rear bar.

Too big of a rear bar causes the inside rear tire to lift. This can cause "snap oversteer" where the rear end suddenly lets loose without much warning under hard cornering.

Tommy
every time i read a post like that it ,makes me want to pull the rear bar out of my elcamino.it's got a 1-1/4 up front from gm...the elcamino being no weight in the back i don't think it needs the big(er)bar i have that's back there.any thoughts?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
melloelky said:
LS6 Tommy said:
Doober said:
Something else I remember reading is (granted this definitely isn't the case here) if you go too big on the rear bar, the suspension will want to make the car understeer (push through the corner), just something to keep in mind...

Doober, with all due respect, that's backwards. Stablilizer bars affect the opposite end of the car they're mounted to. A bigger rear bar will decrease understeer & a bigger front bar will decrease oversteer. That's why Global West Negative Roll suspension kits don't have a rear stabilizer bar. The front grip is increased so much the car would be rediculously loose with a rear bar.

Too big of a rear bar causes the inside rear tire to lift. This can cause "snap oversteer" where the rear end suddenly lets loose without much warning under hard cornering.

Tommy
every time i read a post like that it ,makes me want to pull the rear bar out of my elcamino.it's got a 1-1/4 up front from gm...the elcamino being no weight in the back i don't think it needs the big(er)bar i have that's back there.any thoughts?

If you have a 1.25" bar, it's not factory from GM. The biggest bar they put on G-body Elkys was 1.15"...

Tommy

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
sorry Tommy, i should of said i got the set of bars from a 87 monte ss.i think the rear bar is too big for my car being 7/8

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts