rear swaybars...

boyzbad

Top Fueler
Jul 28, 2004
Olathe, Ks
CutlassRacer said:
A couple of the G-body stock eliminator cars that I have looked under had made brackets and bolted two factory sway bars on the car. One in the stock location, another right under it.

Now I've never thought of that one. It would work though. Didn't a company called ATR make one. If you have acess to a bender and tig machine you can easily make one from some cm tubing. Thought thats what alot of aftermarkets are doing now to reduce weight. HMMM now you got me thinking.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
In a nutshell they help keep the car from rolling or "leaning" when you turn. The rear bars bolted to the lower control arms, 2 bolts per side, and had a little gusset that slid up into the arm so you didn't accidentally tighten the bolt too much and crush the arm. The rear bar is at the top of the pic next to the rear coil springs:
l_94bd9766caff73b84d98f9338ff93efb.jpg

A

Anonymous

Doober said:
In a nutshell they help keep the car from rolling or "leaning" when you turn. The rear bars bolted to the lower control arms, 2 bolts per side, and had a little gusset that slid up into the arm so you didn't accidentally tighten the bolt too much and crush the arm. The rear bar is at the top of the pic next to the rear coil springs:
l_94bd9766caff73b84d98f9338ff93efb.jpg

Ok, so if this is so important to preventing body roll why would Edelbrock complete suspension system not offer them with their kit?

Attachments

• edl-5296_w.jpg
    edl-5296_w.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 2,218

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
shrug.gif That's a good question. They don't include the front or rear bars in the kit though. But that is what sway bars are for, to keep the body from rolling. Most cars only have small ones (compared to performance bars) because the stiffer the bar is, the less contact the inside tire has during a turn, plus it translates more of the road into the steering & suspension because when one tire moves up & down, it tries harder to make the other one move with it. That's partially why all the old boats rode so nice, they had spindly sway bars (probably never had rear bars), and vice versa with all the stiff suspension cars.

POTTSIE

Daily Driver
May 22, 2008
ENID ,OK
JUST A SUGGESTION BUT I USED A SWAY BAR FROM THE REAR OF A 70
CHEVELLE ON ME 79 AND IT WORKED OUT NICE AND ONLY RAN BOUT 60 BUCKS AT A SWAP MEET!! THE BAR MEASURES OUT TO BE BOUT 1 IN RUFFLY COMES OUT NICE AND HOOKS PRETTY GOOD!!

BARTGN

Weekend Racer
May 6, 2008
Gainesville Ga.
May need lower control arms off GN buick Or Olds Cutless ,arms are dtilled and reinforced for bar. I have had good luck stopping torque twist with 1 3/8 bar from Full Throttle Speed in Michigan, along with air bags. (SUMMITT orJEGS)

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
First of all, anti-sway bars are meant to TUNE the suspension, not override it. If you don't have adequate spring rates, you may be able to band-aid the slop with a bigger bar. Stiffer springs or upgrading the shocks would be a better initial purchase. If you're lifting an inside tire, your bar is already too stiff & you're giving away traction. Everyone just automatically thinks bigger is better until they end up with a steam roller suspension. Second, you need to use bars that work together, not just throw any old bar on that's bigger than the old one. You may not even need a bar on one end. For instance, if you're running Global West Negative Roll front suspension, you're actually better off without a rear bar so the car doesn't have rediculous oversteer. That is unless you're planning on entering Formula D competitions... #-o

Tommy

BARTGN

Weekend Racer
May 6, 2008
Gainesville Ga.
Company in S. Carolina (now out of business) ATR, sold huge rear bar for turbo buicks. Helped prevent twist when launching.Copy can still be purchased at Full Throttle Speed .Ask for Mike.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts