Rearend Question

kburwell

Frequent Racer
Oct 8, 2003
Mid-Georgia
OK, I've been told that I can use PRE 1989 Chevy blazer rearend G80 posi units and Ring Gear in my G-body.

Of course (.....par for the course) I find a perfect G80, GT4 (Posi 3:73), but it is out of a 1993 Olds Bravada.
Now from what various members have told me, the only difference is that the PRE 1989 trucks have 26 spline axles and the POST 1988 trucks have 28 spline axles.
Are the axles the same on the small trucks and the G-body cars?? If so, can I use the 1993 setup WITH the 1993 axles? ....or should I just look for a PRE 1989 with the setup I want? I won't be bringing the car to the strip or anything like that; just would like to have a posi with a GU6 (3:42) to leave a couple of tire marks every now and then.

Also ...can someone explain the difference/advantage of a posi unit versus a "spool"

....trying to teach an old dog here (me) some new tricks...LOL!!
Thanks,
Keith AKA: CAPTAIN CORONA!!

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I don't know the cutoff years for the splines, but as far as a posi vs. a spool, a spool locks the axles 100% of the time, and won't let the inside tire turn slower on a turn. A posi/limited slip/etc. disengages so the wheels can turn independent of each other.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I've done a little looking, and I think you can get GN/T-Type axles for the rear, but if you're on a budget it may be counter productive, you'd be looking at over $200 from Summit, Jeg's, etc. I'd like to beef up the rear myself without spending a fortune, but not sure I'll be able to do it.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
The S-10 axles wont work in the G-body.I think there are a few places you can get 7.5 in 28 spline axles for your G-body.OPGI has them #CH27290.Check around to see whats out there and let us know.

Redline396

Amateur Racer
Oct 21, 2008
clifton, nj
moser axle's are cheap enough and pretty strong,most of the time the used stuff is
pretty beat up.you might want to save up for a new set over the winter.the same go's
for the posi unit's,most have had the snot beat out of them and you wind up spending double in the long run.(believe me i know ) best posi for the street/strip car is zexel-torsen or detroit true trac.think about it,keep fixing old junk or up grade and have alot
of fun for a long while with less chance of breaking stuff.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts