Richer Jetting and Hotter Plugs?

Darwinskeeper

Frequent Racer
Sep 18, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
I will be looking a 1980 Elco with a 229 V6 and a 3 speed manual transmission tomorrow. Unlike Darwin and Pandora (my '72 Skylark), this caruck actually runs, so I will be able to drive this one home and actually potter around town with it while I consider my options.

When I told a friend about this possible find he started getting excited about the opportunity to mess around with the Elco's not so new engine. He started babbling about getting the richest jets we could find and mixing them with hotter plugs. His theory is that it would improve the power. I'm figuring that, with a computer controlled ignition/carb, the jet/plug changes may not produce any benefit and would probably send fuel economy straight to the toilet. Any thoughts?

mhamilton

Frequent Racer
Jun 11, 2006
North Carolina
No computer control on an '80 unless it was a Buick 3.8.

The power piston automatically enriches the mixture on heavy acceleration, otherwise the jets are set to provide correct cruising mixture. Going to larger rods or thinner jets will decrease power, you'll be blowing black smoke and not going anywhere. Aside from that, normal wear of the jets will already have it running slightly richer than stock.

Hotter plugs... yikes... the 305/229 are enough of a pain with detonation without going to hotter plugs :D

Depending on how many miles and the maintenance, the stock cam has likely lost a few lobes. A stock cam and new timing set will do it a world of good, if you don't want to mess with any of the aftermarket profiles.

BTW, you'll have to let me know if your 229 vibrates at idle :-k

Darwinskeeper

Frequent Racer
Sep 18, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
Just bought the Elco. The engine seems to run pretty well for a 104,000mi 229 V6. The body's a little rougher than I had expected with some rust on the lower quarter panels and fenders, but it drives pretty well for over 100,000mi and the shifter's much tighter than Darwin's :)

I'll probably change the oil, give the car a tuneup and fix a few of the smaller irritations to see how she runs. My near term goal is to have the Elco serviceable by January when I send Darwin to the shop for a new cam. Eventually I'll be fitting her with heavy duty springs/shocks and replacing the 229 for an electric motor so that she can be used for daily driver duty.

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
Hey buddy, long time no talk! Glad you picked her up! You'll have to post some pics. X2 on 80 not having a computer.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts