S10 Brake Upgrade - Documented

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
axisg said:
mine was a little expensive. I had one noisy bearing but decided to replace both for peace of mind. Upper ball joints and springs were replaced the summer previous.

$ 150.00 spindles used
$ 600.00 for 2 GM bearings
$ 120.00 for GM rotors and pads
$ 20.00 for 2 new flex lines
$ 20.00 paint and brake fluid
$ 120.00 2 new MOOG lower ball joints ( again for peace of mind )

That's still not terrible....

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
80superbu said:
axisg said:

WTF!..is this a typo? If not, please explain

That's not a typo. First of all, OEM GM stuff is overpriced and they don't even make it, somebody else does. RockAuto.com or advanceautoparts sells the same timken bearing/hub assemblies for $80-$100/ea IIRC. You can't just replace the bearings, they are sealed assemblies.

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
The following is what I spent on the swap:

$200 For 2 complete spindle/hub/caliper/rotor assemblies
$14 for VHT Epoxy paint and caliper/rotor paint
$80 for Wagner Rotors and Wagner Thermoquiet pads at advanceautoparts (We have a commercial account there)
$22 for the caliper bushing/dust boot rebuild kit for the caliper brackets

For the VHT paint and caliper bushing/boot kit, I order my stuff for advanceautoparts on their website and use their coupon codes, then pick the stuff up in store. (note this only works for in-stock stuff) Never pay their retail prices.

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
axisg said:
mine was a little expensive. I had one noisy bearing but decided to replace both for peace of mind. Upper ball joints and springs were replaced the summer previous.

$ 150.00 spindles used

Wow...that is ridiculous! you could have gotten a wilwood 4 piston setup for less than that.. with drilled and slotted rotors and about 20 pounds lighter than that. Mean 78's total is more of a reasonable amount for a low budget upgrade. Good job bro.

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Thanks Slimbo. Your new brakes are more bad arse than these. My main goal with the swap was to minimize the cost of getting new spindles and brakes since I had 2" drop spindles before which caused my front coil overs to be adjusted way down..in turn, this greatly reduced my front suspension travel. I now have the travel back with this setup, and got a lot more braking surface area to boot.

Good luck @ Drag Week, we'll be watching your updates.

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
slimbo5 said:
axisg said:

$ 150.00 spindles used

Wow...that is ridiculous! you could have gotten a wilwood 4 piston setup for less than that.. with drilled and slotted rotors and about 20 pounds lighter than that. Mean 78's total is more of a reasonable amount for a low budget upgrade. Good job bro.

I found the price quite reasonable ( other than bearings )!!
The big selling points for me was there were no modifications to be made ( making it a true bolt-on affair ) and it's all GM parts. The Wilwood / B-body swap needs the caliper mounting ears on the spindle to be cut and tapped for the new caliper bracket ( not a big deal mechanically but it's time ).
The Blazer swap required the tie rod ends popped, top and bottom ball joints to be popped, the old spindle removed and the new assembly set in place. Even with replacing both lower ball joints, both sides done in just over an hour, brakes bled and back on the road. I have not even bothered with going back to get the car aligned because it pulls straight and the tires wore evenly.
Don't get me wrong as I like the Wilwood stuff; but I like knowing I can wander into just about any auto parts store in N.America on a Sunday afternoon 15-20 years from now and likely still be able to pick up replacement pads and rotors. You can't do that with Wilwood brakes can you ?

Braking is night and day difference, with the LS1 rear brakes the car now stops as quick as wifeys '03 Impala with 4 wheel disks and ABS ( they both weigh about the same ).

Slim, from your point of view 15lbs is probably a big deal. Running full AC and a big stereo in my car, 15 lbs is nothing LOL

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
Actually the wieght wasnt the reason for the upgrade. it was to get rid of the lousy gm calipers. These dont require a special spindle and are bolt (just have to modify the stock spindle) And if you need replacement pads the same day you havent been doing routine maintenance..lol. Plus i keep a spare set of pads on hand.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts