sbc vs. lsx

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
Horsepwraddict said:
A guy over on LS1tech with an s10 has a Carbed 6.0/th350/ford 8.8" and he told me he got 18mpg on the way to the track. Not bad for a 3 speed. I beleive his brother is on here with the maroon LSX malibu wagon. Maybe he can chime in.

Wow, that's a lot! Wonder what a 350 set up about the same would get? Bet it would be hard to get anything close to that with the same spec sbc, witch tells me that there might be something to an lsx.

Yours on the road yet?

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
Doober said:
I'd go with the LS motor hands down if you're between that and building an SBC. You'll be close to 300hp easy with a stock 5.3, but you'll also probably spend more $ on the swap overall since the LS is a fairly new animal compared to a Gen 1 SBC.

Your right about the dollars, I already have a, good buddy with a 283 that I could get, a pair of alummiunm heads, bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, intake, 4 speed, ect for a sbc and zip for a lsx. I know I could sell some of what I have to help fund a lsx but I wont, Im a pack rat and I know it, lol.

Seems like everyone says go with an lsx, and in all honesty I just really wanted to here "put in a 283 with your trick flows and a 4 speed, you'll get 25 mpg and 350hp without trying." but I know thats not how it works, wish it was. Yall have some good points and if I was smart I would save up my coins and get me a 5.3, t56 like you said, it does everything that I want and in the long run will probably be a better combo for me. Dang that 283 is tempting though :-k

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
It's all in how soon you want to drive it :lol: Just think in 15 years the LS will be the SBC of today ;)

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
Doober said:
It's all in how soon you want to drive it :lol: Just think in 15 years the LS will be the SBC of today ;)

Heck I drove the dang thing 100+ miles today, like I said its my daily and I drive the poo out of it. But I would like some power, right now it wont pull a drunk sailor off your sister to save its *ss :lol:

Funny that you said that because Ive really put some thought into it and I think that the lsx is the sbc of today. I look at it like this, my pops was born in 47 and cut his teeth hoppin up flathead, but as soon as he could he got his hands on a sbc. They had been around for about 8 or 10 years then and were where it was at. With engines like 283's, blown 302's (283 crank with327 block and 12-1 327 pistons), and 327's backed buy a 4 speed in his 56 chevy he was hot stuff for 1964.
Now lets think about today, I was born in 86, the sbc is outdated technology thats been the standard forever and what I learned to wrench on, aka flathead ford of today. The newest, most advanced, and best engine is the lsx, hands down. Its about 8 or 10 years old and the coolest engine in any hot car. Now comes the dilemma, do I jump on the ban wagon or do I turn into one of those guys hot roddin a flathead in 1970... that is the question.
Only difference I see in me and my pops is that at my age he lived to go fast, worked 2 jobs, one to pay for gas and the other for parts. He then got a car fast enough that he quit his jobs and lived on street racing for years, to him it was a job. He only quit after almost killing himself the second time. I on the other had have a house and a wife, am settled down. I do this as a hobby, and have never thought of it as a job. I like old cars fast cars and have no intention of ever trying to be the fastest thing on four wheels. Now if I just knew what any of this means, lol.

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
Doober said:
Build a mild SBC for it, put in a T5, and save up for an LS/T56 swap if you can muster that much $ :lol: ;)

I cant say that I havent thought about it, but I dont think that I will ever take the time and money to set up another car with a t5. Dont get me wrong, there great trannys, good for mild stuff, but weak and chevy units are getting harder to replace and almost as pricey as some better opptions. I know that they can be made strong but at the price of a used t56. No matter how much I say a cars a daily driver I always have in the back of my head visons of doing wheelies and 5000rpm clutch drops. Im really hard on stuff, hell I power sh*t everything I own, from my truck, to the 3 on the tree in my ramber, lol. There are people out there that a t5 would work fine for but Im just not really one, is kinda ironic with the name and all :lol:

Horsepwraddict

Pro Stocker
Mar 3, 2007
Princeton MA
T5MalibuWagon said:
Horsepwraddict said:
A guy over on LS1tech with an s10 has a Carbed 6.0/th350/ford 8.8" and he told me he got 18mpg on the way to the track. Not bad for a 3 speed. I beleive his brother is on here with the maroon LSX malibu wagon. Maybe he can chime in.

Wow, that's a lot! Wonder what a 350 set up about the same would get? Bet it would be hard to get anything close to that with the same spec sbc, witch tells me that there might be something to an lsx.

Yours on the road yet?

no, gotta fix some problems that cropped up.

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
Horsepwraddict said:
T5MalibuWagon said:
Horsepwraddict said:

Yours on the road yet?

no, gotta fix some problems that cropped up.

seems theres always somthing, doesnt it ](*,) It will for sure be worth it when its done though.

Horsepwraddict

Pro Stocker
Mar 3, 2007
Princeton MA
T5MalibuWagon said:
seems theres always somthing, doesnt it ](*,) It will for sure be worth it when its done though.

your tellin me, ive been taking a little break from it lately. I'll get going on it again soon though.

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
Horsepwraddict said:
T5MalibuWagon said:

your tellin me, ive been taking a little break from it lately. I'll get going on it again soon though.

LOL, yeah I couldnt wait to get my malibu going while I was building the engine, and now all Ive lacked busting it off, for about 3 months, is findin tdc and droping the distributor. I know what ya mean, wanting to work on it comes and goes but Ive now got a place to store it so its at least dry when I dont feel like messing with it

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts