sbc vs. lsx

Roller406Bu

Frequent Racer
Sep 10, 2003
Elizabethtown Ky
my thoughts...

I had a solid roller 406 with ported sportman II's heads, 2.05 valve etc, 4000 stahl, 4.10's victor jr intake, 11.5:1 compression and my truck motor 6.0 with a cam only is faster than it was and its on pump gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Same gear, smaller converter drive anywhere and don't worry about nothing, I love it...LSx's for the win...

DennyPett

Frequent Racer
Apr 3, 2004
Spring Hill, Tennessee
Roller406Bu said:
my thoughts...

I had a solid roller 406 with ported sportman II's heads, 2.05 valve etc, 4000 stahl, 4.10's victor jr intake, 11.5:1 compression and my truck motor 6.0 with a cam only is faster than it was and its on pump gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Same gear, smaller converter drive anywhere and don't worry about nothing, I love it...LSx's for the win...

If you dont mind me asking Roller, what cam are you running in the 6.0 and how much faster is it?

Thanks

Roller406Bu

Frequent Racer
Sep 10, 2003
Elizabethtown Ky
Magic stick 4 from texas speed...I street race the car so I'd rather not post times.....

Got Torque

Top Fueler
Oct 29, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
T5MalibuWagon said:
Horsepwraddict said:
A guy over on LS1tech with an s10 has a Carbed 6.0/th350/ford 8.8" and he told me he got 18mpg on the way to the track. Not bad for a 3 speed. I beleive his brother is on here with the maroon LSX malibu wagon. Maybe he can chime in.

Wow, that's a lot! Wonder what a 350 set up about the same would get? Bet it would be hard to get anything close to that with the same spec sbc, witch tells me that there might be something to an lsx.

Yours on the road yet?

I had a '75 Impala 4dr ht about four years ago and it got about 18-19mp/g mixed driving.
The real trick was to keep that beast under 55. The engine was a little milder than 300horse though, but i don't see that extra power translating into worse mileage in your rambler that weighs about half of the Impala....
My friends car might be a better example. He's got a 370+ horse 327ci in a Porsche 911 with a four speed turbo transmission in it and it revs about 2500rpm in 70. It gets about 18Mp/G as long as you're not stomping it. The weight of it should be close to your rambler too. I beleive the Mp/G has more to do with correct tuning than is you have an Gen1 or an LS engine. Anti friction coating on the piston and a roller cam block should eliminate most drawback in fuel efficiency in a Gen1 compared to a carbe'd LS.
Personally i can see why you want to keep the carb. I'm doing the same in my volvo. I even have thoughts on getting a new mallory points distributor and coil and a Holley DP to keep it as low tech and as "manual" as possible. -I won't even go for electric choke :lol:

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
Manual choke, :lol: Thanks for the info but I now have a much shorter drive to work so Im going to start driving my malibu, that means that I can turn my rambler into a hot rod without concern of mpg. Im still thinking sbc but I the old 300hp mark has now gone up closer to 500hp or so.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts