Speedo Question with 4L60E

87SS-ZZ3

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2004
Pantego, NC
Just wanted to know what you guys are using for speedos with the 4L60E trans. Anybody swaped in another cluster from something else? I would love to know what you have done.

Deuce4935

Frequent Racer
Nov 19, 2007
Chicago, Il
You can run an electric speedo that receives its signal from the vss(vehicle speed sensor), or you can get the cable-x box, and last but not least is to purchase the cable driven tail housing from a 700-r4 and hooking your vehicles speedo cable to it.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Yep, go to a junkyard for that last bit, you can likely get a tailhousing & speedo gears (not sure if they'll be correct, do your research here) from a core trans for fairly cheap.

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
I went the other route, just put in a custom tach and speedo from autometer, I believe 3 3/8" was the size, had to cut a little bit, but they worked great...oh they were the electric ones not mechanical btw.

HTH

Otis

A

Anonymous

87SS-ZZ3 said:
Just wanted to know what you guys are using for speedos with the 4L60E trans. Anybody swaped in another cluster from something else? I would love to know what you have done.

I will be using an autometer electronic speedometer with an 86-88 Monte SS style face plate. Cheaper than buying the box to convert the digital signal, and less hassle than changing the tailshaft. At least for me, it was important to keep the stock visual look to it.

87SS-ZZ3

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2004
Pantego, NC
86SS86LS said:
I will be using an autometer electronic speedometer with an 86-88 Monte SS style face plate. Cheaper than buying the box to convert the digital signal, and less hassle than changing the tailshaft. At least for me, it was important to keep the stock visual look to it.

This is what I was talking about. Please let me know how this works out for you. If you have done this already, please send me more info.

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
Hopefully this week the car will be done, if it is so, tehn I'll get pics of the gauges I've put in, they were the phantom ones, so they are white instead of black, and when I get money I'm going to put the other four, the smaller ones, in the same way instead of my mix and match i've got now..

A

Anonymous

87SS-ZZ3 said:
86SS86LS said:

This is what I was talking about. Please let me know how this works out for you. If you have done this already, please send me more info.

I just sent the file to your email. I plan on having a print shop make a high quality copy on a thin sheet of cardboard. It may take a little trial and error to match the color and gloss of the stock gauges. The dimensions are setup to fit over an autometer electronic speedometer, I bought one used on ebay. From looking at the gauge cluster, I don't think it will take much work to make the autometer speedo fit.

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
I bought a panel made by a member here, and used Autometer Phantom Gauges:
gauge_panel_finished.jpg

I could not fit all the gauges in the cluster, so I mounted the other two as shown in this picture:
gauge_pod.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts