Speedometer cable problem

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thank you. The gear in the transmission looks very good. I just put the transmission in last year and haven't driven it much, less than a hundred miles. I'm still looking for solutions. Your help is appreciated.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
If you drive the cable with a drill, in the correct direction so as not to unravel the cable, does the speedometer move smoothly? or is it jumpy?

If the gears are good and the speedometer moves smoothly, there must be something up with the signal you are receiving from the device that is between the transmission and the cable.

I briefly looked at the instructions. Did you set the switches properly?

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I don't think there is a connection. There's a speed sensor that the cable runs through the cable goes through. It doesn't control the speedometer, it gives a reading how fast it is going for cruise control. The cruise control was off the last 2 trips. The speedometer is mechanical, not electric. Thanks again for your help.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
My thoughts may not have been clear.

The VSS at your transmission is sending a signal to your cruise control box. You said when operating the cruise control that the speed was fluctuating (not steady), unless I misunderstood.

By removing the VSS, you can see whether your speedometer is not steady, which would indicate either a defect in cable inside the casing or a bad speedometer drive/driven gear. If the speedometer behaves smoothly with the VSS removed, the VSS may be providing an incorrect signal to your cruise control box. I suspect that with your new cable, drive gear, and driven gear, that the speedometer operates smoothly. The next likely culprit could be the VSS providing a bad signal to your cruise control box, wrong switch settings, or a problem in the wiring between the VSS and the cruise control box.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
No, with the cruise control on it didn't fluctuate, with it off it was fluctuating. I am going to stop working on this part for now and try to fix the leaks before putting it on the road again. The first time it had the cruise control on. The last 2 it was fluctuating with the cruise control off.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Just the speedometer. I need to get a new gasket for the rear end and a transmission pan gasket. See if that'll stop the leaks in those areas. Appreciate your help.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I found I had a problem, the cruise control switch was on, when I thought it was off. I think you are right. I'll try to fix the leaks then work on solving this situation. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!