Street suspension Setup

79CMC

Daily Driver
Mar 24, 2009
Hey fellas

I'm new to the suspension game so I've got a few questions about a setup for my 79 Monte. The car will be a daily driver. Another monte's stance I'd like to replicate was achieved with a 3" drop in the front and a 2" drop in the rear using OPG drop springs. However, I've also read drop spindles are better for the geometry of the car. Can anyone fill me in on the differing schools of thought and the major pros/cons (without starting a firestorm haha)? If I used drop spindles, what else would be involved and what springs would be best? I'm also thinking of using SC&C's stage I kit, Bilstein HD shocks, and rubber bushings. I'd like to get all the parts now so I can fully freshen up the suspension all at once. These are my current plans but definitely let me know what set-ups you guys are running. Thanks for your input.

79CMC

Daily Driver
Mar 24, 2009
No Dice? Would ya'll use drop spindles or springs to get the stance and handling?

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
I love the idea of drop spidles. and they ride so much better, no bottoming out as much.But every g-body I've ever been in had real bad tire rub on the front. Their may be a tire and wheel combo that works, but I don't know what that is.
The drop spindles work on anything else I've seen.

406Monte

Dragway Regular
Nov 30, 2007
Hubert, NC
I installed Moroso trick springs in my front and it dropped it just the way i wanted. I guess it lucked out. I think it dropped around 2 inches from it.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
406Monte said:
I installed Moroso trick springs in my front and it dropped it just the way i wanted. I guess it lucked out. I think it dropped around 2 inches from it.

sorry for the highjack, but do you happen to know what springs you used? what did you have in the car before? i'm right in the middle of doing this...just wondering what to expect for ride height.

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
Hello
This is just another suggestion for you! I would suggest looking into poly bushings for your set up over rubber. They are more of a firm material and will last longer than rubber especially if they are grease able. But that is just my opinion. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8&zenid=vht3dd7raudiekeaicnrv2ldk4

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Thanks
Brad :D

I used spindles at first, with a moog spring. But the bumpsteer was crazy!! When you put the stock spindle next the the drop spindle, the steering arms were on different planes. So, I went the circle track route. Adjustable spring cups, high rate springs, and bilstiens shocks. The ride is SOOO much better, a little stiff for some perhaps, but it is low. And i can adjust it up or down. Same for the rear. This route isn't for everybody though.

But, as others said, the drop spindle gives you full suspension travel, using existing springs. Just have to be care of the brand I guess and where the steering arms is. FWIW, the brown wagon under my name is the one that is lowered, riding on 17x8 wheels in the front and rear and no rubbing over even the hardest bumps.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts