Street to strip. Looking to build a mid-9 sec street car on 10.5 inch tires.

Dr.Exhaust

Mar 31, 2020
Flint, Michigan
I currently have a 5.3 ls and a slue of different small blocks. Along with many other people I'm undecided on which engine to go with or which type of power adder. The car currently runs 13's, but I'm trying to get to the stripe before my father in his '69 Chevelle. I've currently QA1 suspension in the front and a QA1 pro coil over kit for the rear. The rear end is also getting swapped out for either a 9 inch or a 12 bolt. Whats working and whats not?

Reactions: Gmc2258 and r_d_3

HighLiner

Sep 29, 2019
Welcome to a excellent forum. You have a tall order in front you and might have to make compromises in street manners of your ride!

• Sad
Reactions: r_d_3

Dr.Exhaust

Mar 31, 2020
Flint, Michigan
Street manners are for the daily drivers. Lol. The manners in my car have been long gone for well over a decade. Im that guy driving 55mph on the interstate running 3200 rpm. And I enjoy it. We all do. Happy to be in this forum for my new project. I just received a box from summit yesterday with 2 new bus bars and covers. Its time to start wiring in a new Flaming River battery disconnect switch.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
I'm running low 9's with a 555 NA engine. Everyone will have a different way of meeting that goal. My car has 29 x 10 tires.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
it runs on 100 octane AV gas which is cheap and easy for me to buy because i live 3 miles from a little country airport with a cardlock fuel pump. It never gets hot because it has a big aluminum rad. It has a Weiand tunnel ram with 2 holley 750 track warrior carbs. Its way to radical to daily drive thats for sure. But i still drive it 5 or 6 miles to my local home town car show and cruise night. There isn't much traffic where i live.

Dr.Exhaust

Mar 31, 2020
Flint, Michigan
That definitely sounds like it would be a fun handful on the street. Im not building mine for a daily driver by any means. It dont even see 3,000 street miles a year now as it is. But here in mid-michigan we have a ton of car shows and cruse's and its common to have grid lock jams. Im wanting to be able to drive 65-70 miles to one of the local drag strips, but also be able to sit in traffic for an hour. Thats where im tossed, Im not sure whats the best way to get there, a N/A, turbo, supercharged or nitrous. Im starting with an open slate right now with a handful of different engines to pick from. No big blocks on hand at the moment. What rear end are you running? Thats another one im 50/50 on, a Ford 9 inch, GM 8.25 or a 12 bolt. Budget build. Thanks for the reply

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Well a nitrous deal would easily be the way to go in my opinion if you want to drive it like you mention. Build an 11 second motor and spray it into the 9's.
My car has a home built Ford 9". I have a video on youtube on how i built it.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!