T5 problem

A

Anonymous

I just finished the 5speed swap in my 86 monte and i am experiencing a problem. when the car is still cool, the transmission shifts in and out of every gear fine. when it heats up, it is difficult to get the transmission into gear. i have to use a lot of force to get it into 1st when i am stopped. it doesnt even go into reverse when the transmission is warm. it feels like the clutch isnt disengaging enough but only when it heats up. i am stumped ](*,) someone please help me!

A

Anonymous

its a hydraulic setup. im thinking i have a problem with my pressure plate. i reused the origional one from the camaro and it was rusty. i was skeptical about using it but i just wanted to get it done and it was probably a bad idea

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I have never heard of a pressure plate changing its characteristics because the engine warmed up.

Since you are using hydraulic linkage, I am thinking it has something to do with the hydraulic fluid getting warm. Did you buy the new sealed unit from GM? or used?

If used, what fluid did you use? Did you have any difficulties bleeding it?

I have no experience with hydraulic linkage, so I will not be much help in troubleshooting. I am just trying to probe the likely questions.

There are others in this forum with the same setup as you that will likely have the answer.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Does the hydraulic line from the master to the release bearing go anywhere near the exhsuat? I rerouted the line on an ERA Cobra that used to run past the headers. The owner couldn't get into or out of gear after he drove for about 5 miles before I moved it.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!