TH-400 "Ears"

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
LS6 Tommy said:
bracketchev1221 said:
I cut mine. I even bought an Ultra bell and cut the extra ears off the top of it.

Not that it's any big deal if you're not getting hassled at tech, but you do realize you killed the SFI rating by doing that, right?

Tommy
Nope it doesn't. Its been checked and recertified after it expired. Thanks.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
bracketchev1221 said:
LS6 Tommy said:
bracketchev1221 said:
I cut mine. I even bought an Ultra bell and cut the extra ears off the top of it.

Not that it's any big deal if you're not getting hassled at tech, but you do realize you killed the SFI rating by doing that, right?

Tommy
Nope it doesn't. Its been checked and recertified after it expired. Thanks.

Interesting. Did it get recertified by a tech inspection or the manufacturer? I don't know how they can recert it. ANY modification to an SFI certified part voids the certification.

NHRA General Competition Rules section 20-

"Under no circumstances may any certified product be modified, altered or in any way vary from the "as manufactured" condition. Such a practice is in violation of the SFI, Snell, DOT, etc, program, voids such certification and therefore will not be accepted by NHRA.

NOTICE: It is the responsibility of the participant, not NHRA or any track, to ensure that all safety equipment is not modified or altered, is approved and correctly installed, worn, maintained and used"

If they're not bugging you at tech, I'm certainly not going to hassle you...

Tommy

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
It is an approved modification because the upper ears are not used on a stock block application. The ear removal is included in the ultra bell instructions. And nhra has no jurisdiction over recertification. It has to be an approved company to recertify components. The oem vendors are approved to certify. So if it has a valid sticker, it is legal according to nhra.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Cool! Thanks for the info! I knew the NHRA couldn't recert, I thought maybe some other group did some kind of tech thing. This is what I love about this group. You can discuss things and learn something new without people turning it into a flame session.

Tommy

As another interesting bit of trivia regarding modification of SFI-certified equipment, it is actually SFI-legal to cut up to four 2" diameter holes in the bell housing of an SFI-certified Powerglide or TH400 transmission case such as those offered by Reid Racing, ATI, etc. I suppose the point is to lighten up the case a bit. This modification would also provide a small amount of air cooling to the torque converter much in the same manner as early air-cooled OEM Powerglide transmissions.

It's also SFI-legal to add attach a handle via bolts, screws, or rivets to the bell housing of an SFI-approved transmission case. Adding a handle makes it MUCH easier to R&R a transmission in a dragster or similar open-chassis application.

One more piece of trivia; Reid Racing (Dedenbear) Powerglide 1-piece transmission cases feature a steel safety liner inside the transmission case. This liner has an ear on the back side of it that interferes with the parking pawl mechanism when you try to insert or remove the liner with the parking pawl in place. Normally you have to remove the parking pawl from the case before you can install or remove the safety liner. As of 2012 it is SFI-legal to cut off the ear from the internal safety liner so that parking pawl removal is no longer necessary for installation or removal of the shield.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts