TIMING CHAIN -VS- GEAR DRIVE

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
Leave it alone. A gear drive is a waste of money. I run a Cloyes Billet True Roller chain in my Chevelle for like $90. It's gone 9.0's at 148 with it.

Damon

Pro Stocker
Feb 7, 2005
Philly Area
I've built quite a few motors over the years. I keep thinking I should try a gear drive. But then I keep asking myself under what conditions would a gear drive work better than a simple quality chain set? I haven't fuond the application yet that required one. In fact, I keep wondering if I shouldn't try a dry belt drive setup for the easy cam changes they afford and the fact they transmit fewer crank harmonics into the cam. There isn't anything that could be more different from a gear drive than a belt drive. Opposite ends of the spectrum and yet I'm pulled more towards the belt drive to be on one of my future engines than a gear drive.

If you want the gear drive sound I might suggest you buy a blower instead. They make the same sounds. And the performance backs up the sound.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
There are NO usable benefits to a gear drve. They are much less efficient than a chain, can cause cam walk, transfer harmonics from the crank to the cam, wear out faster, have a LOT more reciprocating mass than a chain so the engine revs a TEENY bit slower... Need I go on? The concept & sales pitch is they're more accurate. For less money you can get a REALLY good & accurate Jezel dry belt drive setup...

They don't sound like any blower I've ever heard, either. They sound like a noisy power steering pump...

Tommy

HOLY TERROR-BU

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2010
WATERBURY, CT
THANKS FOR ALL THE OPINIONS! I AM GOING TO STAY WITH MY DOUBLE ROLLER CHAIN!! I WILL JUST PUT MY MONEY, SOMEWHERE ELSE, FOR MY BU. I'D RATHER HAVE REAL RAW POWER.....RATHER THAN HAVING A CAR/MOTOR MOCKED UP, THAT REALLY ISN'T! I WILL FIND MORE EFFICENT WAYS TO SPEND MY $$$$!!!!!!

jrm81bu

Frequent Racer
Jul 17, 2006
Antwerp, Ohio
LS6 Tommy said:
For less money you can get a REALLY good & accurate Jezel dry belt drive setup...
Tommy

I need to know where you shop, lol. Not that I disagree with the other stuff but gear drives can be had for under a hundred. I don't think I can find a belt drive for that.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
jrm81bu said:
LS6 Tommy said:
For less money you can get a REALLY good & accurate Jezel dry belt drive setup...
Tommy

...gear drives can be had for under a hundred.

Not ones that are any good... :D I might have been off on the pricing. The last time I bought a belt drive it was around $400.00. A "good" helical gear drive was about $500.00 at that time.

Tommy

jrm81bu

Frequent Racer
Jul 17, 2006
Antwerp, Ohio
Ya most of the gear drives are below 200. But the cheapest dry belt system summit shows is almost 600.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
I look at it this way. If it isn't going to make the car faster, why bother? A gear drive offers nothing other than noise. A chain works fine and serves the purpose. I have a Cloyes chain and a stock cover on my car going 9.0's.

buwagon78

Amateur Racer
Dec 28, 2010
New albany, Indiana
As usual, everybody's right on target IMO (I have that "warm feeling" all over right now, LOL).

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts