Timing Problem

uestraven

Daily Driver
Nov 13, 2011
Long Island
I have a 79 Malibu with a mild 350 in it. For some reason when I take a timing light to it and try to set the timing, it wont idle. I tried setting it at 36 degrees total and when it goes back to idle it just dies. Vacuum hooked up or unhooked it does the same thing. Ive tried tuning the carb differently, changing the air mixture screws and idle air bleeds, i even rebuilt the carb. All the plugs and on tight and ive checked to make sure all the timing marks line up with tdc. But I still cant get it to idle until 25 degrees initial timing. Please help!

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
Did the balancer ring spin?

uestraven

Daily Driver
Nov 13, 2011
Long Island
The balancer ring couldn't have spun BC it still lines up at tdc

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
sounds like the balancer and the timing mark are not a matched set. You can index the balancer against your timing mark using a piston stop and degree wheel. You can print a degree wheel from various places on the internet.

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
That's what I was thinking t5monte but, he said the timimg marks are aligned @TDC.

uestraven, are you sure you don't have a bad Vac leak?
Does the Vac Advance have any effect when connected/disconnected?

uestraven

Daily Driver
Nov 13, 2011
Long Island
I thought I had a vacuum leak because I kept hearing a hissing sound but I literally doused the motor in ether and the rpms never flinched

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts