Transmission pan bolts tightening

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
What is the proper torque level the pan bolts are to be tightened to on the pan of a 2004r transmission? Thanks for your help.

shoedoos

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2008
its going to be a trial and error process for you.....I generally criss/cross my way around a number of times when first putting the pan on. Do not crush the cork gasket around each bolt or it will leak. Snug the gasket uniformly all the way round. After you have driven it, get back under there and snug them up again as the heat will have relaxed the gasket and your bolts will need another snug. You will need to do this few times until the gasket settles...I don't use any sealer but others might...

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thank you. Somebody put it on for me and I found the bolts were loose. I tightened them but it still leaks. I know about the star approach, and was planning to do that. I was told that I should use a torque wrench. So I wanted to try tighten them to that level. You offered a good strategy.

shoedoos

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2008
same procedure applies....keep nipping those pan bolts and the leaks will go away (unless the gasket is already damaged).....

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Hi There,
Cork or composite gasket either one I always use sealer and yes you guessed it, Permatex Aviation Form a Gasket, good enough for Aircraft, always worked for me on anything I used it on, anyway make sure the bolt flange on your pan is good and flat, IE not deformed from over tightening, make sure everything is clean and dry, apply sealer to both sides of the gasket, start all the bolts and snug them up, not tight just yet, On sheet metal covers I always use a screwdriver/nut driver type handle to tighten the bolts up, start in the middle and do the crossover pattern a little at a time and go over the pattern several times, unless you're built like Arnold you shouldn't be able to over tighten the bolts with one hand, you want them tight but not tight enough to crush the gasket or deform the pan, and as mentioned previously in an hour or so the gasket will settle and you'll need to snug the bolts up again, depending on what I' doing I may check them several times before I call it good, Torque wrench is probably the best correct way, on a bench but in the vehicle they are cumbersome as there always seems to be something in the way, anyway that's how I've been doing it for years, Hope it helps, Good Luck, KillerDave

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I started removing the pan bolts today and found i have a bolt in front that I can't get a tool on. Is it safe to take the bolts out of the cross member and transmission mount to slide it forward a little bit to get a tool on it?

shoedoos

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2008
yes that's fine, just don't make a mess of sliding it too far.....sure you can't get a spanner in there?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!