Trunk Mount Battery ???

355_79bu

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2005
Cotter, AR
My dad recently gave me a nice trunk mounted battery kit for helping him out with some stuff. :D I have been thinking about how I'm going to mount and wire things with this setup. Now, my question is, how do you wire an MSD box directly to the battery when it is trunk mounted. Do you run the hot all the way to the trunk, or is it ok to wire the MSD to the alt or starter? I am not sure that running a wire all the way to the trunk is a good idea. I have always heard to avoid running lengths of wire that long. How do you all have yours wired up? TIA!

Blackwizard22

Frequent Racer
Feb 26, 2007
NJ
I have had nothing but bad experiances with trunk mount kits. Especially in the summer with heat soak, makes the car a b*tch to start.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
When I moved my battery to the trunk, I ran the cabel straight to the r/f inner fender, drilled a hole in it (the inner fender) and bolted the cable to the plastic inner fender with a 1.5" bolt. From that spot I ran a short cable down to the starter like it would normally be. Gives me a nice spot to tap into for power or if I have to jump start it from the front and the plastic wont conduct. Has been that way for years now and worked good. I put a vacuum cap over the rest of the bolt so nothing can touch it and short out. Not sure if this would be NHRA legal though-my guess is it wouldnt be.

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
I have mine connected at the remote solenoid on the firewall, the MSD box is behind the glovebox, inside.

The only other wire you need to run to the battery is the alternator output.

Don't forget the chassis, body, and engine grounds......weld a stud to the frame at the battery, and one at the front near the engine....short cable to the block, also grounded to the body and cylinder head.

gn clone

Daily Driver
Mar 6, 2008
gilbert, minnesota
The best way I've found for the "remote battery" is to use a welding cable instead of a battery cable I have no problem with my 53 pickup/w a built 454 hot soak doesn't affect it at all.

A

Anonymous

gn clone said:
The best way I've found for the "remote battery" is to use a welding cable instead of a battery cable I have no problem with my 53 pickup/w a built 454 hot soak doesn't affect it at all.

x2

A

Anonymous

trunkbat3.jpg

redneckerson

Frequent Racer
Nov 20, 2007
Kansas City Area
On a race car, where do you prefer to run your cable from your battery?
Inside the frame rail to the right front, or inside the interior and exit through the front firewall.
Thanks, Gene

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
I prefer anything that can make fire, smoke, or fumes, be outside the driver compartment.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts