Trunk Battery Mount Questions and Idea's ???

jakedog

Frequent Racer
Apr 10, 2009
Upstate NY
Gettin ready to do a trunk mount, Where did you guys put yours ??? Post some pics if you got em . And where did you route the wire ?? the safest spot. Any tips on doing this. I know its not hard . Just looking the best suggestions. Should i run the cable to power lug up front, then to the starter ? It would give me a power point i was thinkin ? Is it legal ? I found this one from jegs pictured below . Let me know and thanks !

spaujo.gif

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
check out wiringproducts.com They have all kinds of wiring needs and they're priced nicely.

MalibuMan1979

Frequent Racer
Aug 17, 2008
flint, (lapeer), michigan
no pics yet. mounted mine in the trunk. where the spare tire was, (tire well). ran my ground through a small grommeted hole to the rear frame. drilled and grinded a contact point. next ran my positive wire, through another grommeted hole inside the frame, over the rear wheel area, (i know, i will fix that later when i narrow my frame rails), along inside my right side frame rail with mounts, and up along the inside front frame to my starter connector. i went to the junkyard and found a cadillac car and removed the positive power firewall connector with cover and wire and mounted it to my hvac delete panel. i connected the wire to the starter connector. to top it off i ran a 2 guage wire from my frame front to my engine for a positive ground. the only thing now i want to do is install a emergency shut off terminal at the back.

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
those bulkhead stink,too large of a hole to drill and dont secure really well.....

try these instead....http://www.delcity.net/store/Stud-Type-Junction-Block/p_71704.a_1

What I did was run 2 of these in my trunk one goes to BAT POS and one to BAT NEG.....
Then run your cables up the car as needed for POS and run a short cable to the frame for NEG
cable_images1.php

pmgm

Amateur Racer
Jun 2, 2007
OH
I would like to do this to... Can somebody post some pics of there install?

Thanks

jakedog

Frequent Racer
Apr 10, 2009
Upstate NY
Where to run the main cable to ??? Clamp to the outside of the frame ? This legal ?
I'm thinkin you dont want it inside the frame moving around correct ???
Any pics in the trunk ?? Anyone ??

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
ZIP TIES FTW

chop57

Frequent Racer
Oct 26, 2008
g-town mass
i would suggest a 100 amp in line fuse on the + side to be safe, your also gonna have to run a separate 4 guage wire directly to the back of the alt. otherwise the car will continue to run when you shut it off.

MalibuMan1979

Frequent Racer
Aug 17, 2008
flint, (lapeer), michigan
chop57 said:
i would suggest a 100 amp in line fuse on the + side to be safe, your also gonna have to run a separate 4 guage wire directly to the back of the alt. otherwise the car will continue to run when you shut it off.
i like the safety in line fuse idea. but why do you have to run the wire to the back of the alternator? extra ground? bigger power wire? i don't have one on mine and it works great.

COPO 572

Dragway Regular
Mar 23, 2004
Morrisville, NC 27560
and don't forget you need to run the threaded rod through the frame of the car or similar structure to pass tech at some tracks. I raced at Maple Grove last year and the guy flagged me for having the battery bolted to the trunk floor. He let me race, but said I had to have it fixed for the next time I came back.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!