tubular a-arms front

1979dbkohl

Weekend Racer
Dec 6, 2010
dubuque iowa
i plan on running the 15X8 weld draglites for rims at all four corners. can i run the tubular front upper and lower a-arms? im keeping the stock spindle and rotor and brake calipers im just changing the upper and lower a-arms up front. any help is appreciated. casey

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
What size tire are you talking on the 15x8s,I don't think your problem is going to be the control arms but will be wheel & tire size,I have 15x7 Camaro Rallys with 235/60 15s on them and they rub just a little at full steering lock both ways,that's at stock height on
my 78,on the 81 (signature pic)I have 15x6 w 3" bs and 215/65 15s which have a full 7 1/2" tread pattern and you can drop it on the bump stops and turn it lock to lock and it doesn't rub at all,there's only so much room to work with up front,be carefull and do a lot of measuring but I don't think you're ever going to get 15x8s to fit on the front of a Malibu with out rubbing no matter what kind of front control arms you're using,now if you're interested in doing fender flares and making a road race lookin kinda deal you'd
be in good shape except you'd need 10s or 12s on the back to make it look right,! Hope I helped!! KillerDave

1979dbkohl

Weekend Racer
Dec 6, 2010
dubuque iowa
i was thinking 205/60/15 on the front for tire size.i dont mind rubbing lock to lock i was more concerned with the rim fitting over the caliper and having enough clearence there. my other 79 i rubbed the frame rail when i was lock to lock so i was expecting that. with the tubular a-arms and the rim 15X8 up front and stock spindle and rotor,and caliper i believe it should fit but i thought i was ask you guys. thanks killerdave8813 will i have rim clearence?

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
You will be fine. I ran a 15x8 w/ 3.5" backspacing up front with a 245/50/15 tire and had no rubbing issues. And the front was lower than stock. I think a 205/60 might be too narrow for an 8" wheel, though.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts