What did U do to your G-body today??

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I took the Elk out for a drive. It ran fine. The speedometer didn't work right. Going slow it was at 15 miles an hour. When I stepped on the gas it bounced up to 35 or 40 and fell back to the 15 or 20 without slowing down. I'll have to take it apart and see what's going on.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I took it for a test drive. It ran great. The speedometer never got past 20 mph. I'll have to check with Rostra and see if they have any ideas

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I bought a part from Rostra for the cruise control. When it comes, I'll have to see if it fixes the speedometer. I bought the Rostra cruise control 2nd hand. I'm still learning.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I tried to install it today, but having problems. The instructions said to connect it to the transmission. When I connected it to the transmission, the speedometer cable was too stiff to fit in the tunnel. I'm going to try to find a shorter fitting to hook it to the transmission. But that may not work either. If that's the case, then I'll have to connect a short speedometer cable and move the sensor away from the transmission.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I had to set up a short speedometer cable and place the speed sensor away from the transmission. I hope to test drive it tomorrow or Friday. I want to see if this fixes the speedometer problem and check out the cruise control to see if it works.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
My Monte Carlo has a 2-piece cable. There is a joint near the firewall. That cable configuration may be suitable for you, so you can put the VSS near the firewall.

Edit: I had a rethink...I don't know if the cable end of the longer cable will fit the VSS...you would have to investigate before considering this option.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thanks. I'll have to see if I can make that work. That's what I wanted to do, when I started to install the cruise control, but was told it needed to be close to the transmission.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I was able to get the wires replaced to the new VSS. I hope to take it for a drive on Monday, to see how the speedometer and cruise control works.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!