Whats this??...HELP...

Wile E

Dragway Regular
Aug 11, 2003
Central WISC
I'm just about done with this wiring harness when I come across this: two 12 gauge wires, one purple and one yellow. Whoever had this before just bypassed the clutch switch or "shorting" plug by ...eeegads....twisting and taping the wires together. I was just going to solder & shrink tube the wires until I came across this term "Shorting plug"...what is that. Am I ok to just solder these together? Never heard of a shorting plug. Should set this up with a inline fuse?
plug004.jpg

In the diagram, see the blue plug with the label "auto transmission (with gauges) Start Switch C-101...Whats the U shaped thingy just infront of the plug? Is that the "shorting plug"?
gvbhn002.jpg

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
It is the same yellow wire used in the manual transmission car, according to the diagrams. Without the jumper, the car will not start. It simulates depressing the clutch pedal and closing the start switch. I thought the yellow/purple plug connected to a switch on the base of the column, but perhaps that only happened in the later years.

Soldering will have the same effect.

Wile E

Dragway Regular
Aug 11, 2003
Central WISC
I'm pretty sure this harness was out of a manual '78 Elky. So I can just solder the two (purple and yellow) and be done with it. I've compared my old harness and two others, most everything else matches up except that white junction box that most of the dome/courtesy light plugs-plug into. The white plastic junction box mounts just left of the steering colum along the firewall on all the others. I've seen one that mounts to the left lower portion of the dash. This one does not have that junction at all.
Thanks for the help guys.
Another question: I've converted to power windows, this harness has the wiring for them. I routed the wires for the passenger side up in the plastic protective sleeve that runs behind the dash, above the steering colum and heater box. Is that the correct routing? Seems to fit properly.
UPDATE... That mystery plug/relay thingy I posted about a while back must have something to do with the cruise. One of the wires I was able to trace back went to the brake light switch.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts