Where does the radio bolt in the dashboard?

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Where does the radio bolt into the dashboard? I know it has to come out of the backside of the dashboard. Does the front faceplate need to come off to get it out? Thank you for your time and help.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
it comes out via the front.the face plate is held in by 4 screws.there should be 2 facing the rear of the car and 2 more pointing towards the windshield.depending on which style of radio you have be it one with 2 knobs or one without.remove the face plate and go from there.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thank you. I have the four screws out and the knobs off. It seems to be hung up in the dashboard from when I added a full cap on it. I'll have to do some trimming on the cap edges and see if that works.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
normally those 2 knob'd radios have a bracket that the attaches to the dash.if you remove the hardware on the shafts that hold the bracket to it you should be able to remove the radio.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thank you. I need to be able to get the faceplate off first, that's my big struggle at the moment. It's a radio we got for our son, when he had this El Camino. It has a cassette deck in it. The new one will use iPods, CD player, and satellite if we want. I appreciate your time and help.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I just looked at the back of the radio and it has mounting strap on the back. I checked the new radio it has mounting strap for it too. The directions tell me to pull the old one out the back and put the new one in from the back of dash. Warranty is voided if the new one isn't fastened down with the strap. Just wanted to share with you what I learned. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I got the radio free from it's dash mount, but it's stuck between the dash and the floor heater vent. What is the best way to get it out?

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Is it possible to remove the floor heater vent , without removing the dash? I need more space to get the radio out.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
I'm confused,every stereo I've ever removed & or installed has been through the front.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
On mine, in the front, when the face plate is removed, there's a metal plate which is part of the dashboard. There's a rectangle hole in there with holes where the radio controls have a nut for each side that secures it. Then there is a strap that bolts to the back to support it. This dash came out of a 79 Malibu.

Last edited:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts