Which 4.3 motor do I need?

A

Anonymous

I put a 87 4.3 with the 229 2 barrel intake, distributor, and exhaust manifolds in a chevy luv before and it ran great.

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
85 and 86 full size truck 4.3's have a factory 4bbl intake. If you can score one of those engines and take off the ccc crap.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
mhamilton said:
v8s10dave said:
distributor will work.

The 229 dist is semi-odd fire, 4.3L is even fire... you need a 4.3 distributor.

You beat me to it.

Tommy

A

Anonymous

I found a 85 4.3 with the 4 bbl and it has a 400 transmission, it came out of a chevy truck. will the 400 transmission fit in my malibu right up without any modifications or what mods will I have to do?

matty man

Dragway Regular
Jun 1, 2003
Grove City , Ohio
You will need a new transmission cross member I do believe, possible drive shaft reduction, look in the tech section here and the dimensions are in there I think, thats a lot of transmission for a V-6 you will lose a lot of engine power just to drive the 400, are you planning on towing? Matty man 8) you will never have to worry about destroying that transmission though!!

A

Anonymous

you can use a 2004r trans crossmember and if it is the short tail 400, you can just change the yoke.

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
83 MALI WAGON said:
I found a 85 4.3 with the 4 bbl and it has a 400 transmission, it came out of a chevy truck. will the 400 transmission fit in my malibu right up without any modifications or what mods will I have to do?

IIRC thats a TH375 trans. Im guessing 86 87 fullsize P/U??

A

Anonymous

matty man said:
You will need a new transmission cross member I do believe, possible drive shaft reduction, look in the tech section here and the dimensions are in there I think, thats a lot of transmission for a V-6 you will lose a lot of engine power just to drive the 400, are you planning on towing? Matty man 8) you will never have to worry about destroying that transmission though!!
its the original transmission off the truck I think. the guy said i could have whatever else off the truck i needed so i was going to get the driveshaft, radiator and transmission crossmember

A

Anonymous

83 MALI WAGON said:
matty man said:
its the original transmission off the truck I think. the guy said i could have whatever else off the truck i needed so i was going to get the driveshaft, radiator and transmission crossmember
the radiator and crossmember won't work, the driveshaft yoke will if it is a slip yoke

A

Anonymous

80ECLT said:
83 MALI WAGON said:

IIRC thats a TH375 trans. Im guessing 86 87 fullsize P/U??
it is an 85. how do i tell the difference between a 375 and a 400? are 375 desireable?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts