Why So Much timing?.... Need Help.

84Black&Silver

Daily Driver
Dec 14, 2010
Oakland CA.
Madmaxx57: I've heard about that wire your talking about but I have no clue where its located or where to look. The only wires coming from the distributor is the main plug that plugs to the harness and if I unplug that it just wants to die. I can keep it running with the throttle but it just runs like garbage and wants to die.. Anyone have any idea where that wire is located? And I don't think the computer will let it ping. I did think about replacing the distributor with a regular vacuume advance one but, I think that will throw off the computer and set the CEL on.?

art

Amateur Racer
Aug 8, 2008
Mastic, New York 11950
Um the computer has no way of knowing if it is pinging IIRC. 1984 onboard stuff wasn't that good. If when you unplug the big 4 or five pin deal in the front and it has trouble running, your base timing is wrong. All the 'puter does is add or subtract timing in response to the "map" signal. (just like a vacuum advance can) So I would try setting the base timing the way the sticker on the shroud suggests and see how things are. If all else fails, a trip to a diagnostic facility is not a bad idea.

84Black&Silver

Daily Driver
Dec 14, 2010
Oakland CA.
art: I thought it did? I had read that the computer wouldn't let it ping because it would gather info from the knock sensor , map sensor and a few other sensors and it would advance or retard the timing on its own.. Maybe im wrong on that?... how do I set base timing without the computer advancing it while im trying to set it?

SSedan64: I did put all the sonsors back on the motor , knock , MAP , Carb , everything. I put it all back stock all sensor and emission equipment.

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
on tpi;s the timing wire is right above the distr...just one wire..little plastic conector..maybe look at a wiring diagram to get the color..i would also say your base timing is way off...honestly i would start advancing it just to see what it would do?..can it run anyworse?..and yes the knock sensor will send a signal for the ecm to retard timing when it senses a rattle..i was thinking if you just put in a regular distr ,it would eliminate that set of electronics..i dont think it will set off the light..i have this setup on my 57 chevy with tpi. no light..but at this point the light is the least of your worries...just throwing some options out there..

Feb 17, 2010
Get your compression test done before you start beating your head too much. I had a similar problem, turns out the heads were junk.

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
What size motor did the carb come off of? It could be running way too lean, also. Can you adjust the mixture screws to get a lean roll? What happens to the rpm when you pull a vacuum line off of the manifold?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts