1 wire alt

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
There's a few things to look at when buying an alternator-

"Turn on" RPM- the RPM that the alternator must get to to start charging.

Idle current- The amperage the alternator puts out at idle. Very important for street cars with big stereos, electric fans, ignition boxes, etc.

Peak curent- Max amperage the alternator puts out.

One wire or standard (2 wire or 3 wire)- One wire alternators need to have the engine revved to a certain speed to excite the field, then they continue to charge after that. Standard alternators put out current as soon as the engine starts.

Tommy

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
so going to the single wire alternator isn't even going to help my problem. glad i found that out before i went out and bought one.

thanks for all the helpful advice guys!

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
When I was street driving my car, I think I had the water pump and fan underdriven 30%, but I ran the alternator belt to the water pump pulley only, which was an "overdrive" for the alternator only.....I've always stuck with the 2 or 3 groove long water pump stuff, to make things easy, and have options.
I'm thinking of putting my power steering back on the car, in my old age. :-k

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
yeah, i kept my 3 grove crank pulley to simplify things. i'll be running the alt to the front grove (larger one). that's where it runs now, and it lines up with the moroso mounting kit that way.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts