1LE brakes

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
gmachinz said:
That and the distance between the cross shaft bolts are 7.25" for a B-body vs. G-body's 6.5" distance-too much fabbing-not worth it. Buy good aftermarket uppers. -Jabin

Good point. I missed that one.

Tommy

A

Anonymous

ouch

:( Well, there goes that. At this point, I can't justify that expense. As I stated in the original question, it seems someone did this years ago with stock parts. Since Car Craft, PHR, and other magazines were hot for these cars way back, I can't recall who did it, and the facts have grown vague. Thanks for the help.

DeltaT

Dragway Regular
Oct 28, 2003
Nor Cal
I have a pair of assembled B-body spindle/1LE Rotor/Caliper/Carbon Metallic Pads/Dustshields, in good condition I'll sell for $300 plus shipping. They have a long service life left in them. Then all you need is the aftermarket upper A-arms (which I sometimes see on E-Bay) and a set of braided brake lines. They are off my 81 Bu from before I upgraded to Global West spindles/13" Wilwood brakes. The 1LE rotors are 5 on 4 3/4" stud spacing.

They weigh like 53lbs. per side, box for shipping.

PM if interested. I could post or send pix.

Jim

gmachinz

Frequent Racer
Apr 5, 2005
Iowa
Yeah, shipped those suckers are heavy! I just sent a freshly built and powdercoated 1LE conversion kit to a customer in the Netherlands and it was pricey! I sent it USPS so it still saved him considerable money over FedEx or UPS. Rotors went in each box with dust shields, calipers in another, spindles in yet another box and then all mounting hardware, pads, braided hoses and bearings/seals in another. -Jabin

malibuplotter

Dragway Regular
Apr 11, 2005
layton utah
388bu said:
I think a few of us know. :)

http://gparts.freeyellow.com
never seen that one before, how long has this fellow been around? anyone have his control arms? i'm all for supporting the little guy. (if i can trust his parts).

A

Anonymous

Warren/Tommy, Will the the 92 Camaro calipers and rotors work with this combo. Or YOU must use 1981 Camaro. Tommy what part numbers are your rotors/calipers from?

gmachinz

Frequent Racer
Apr 5, 2005
Iowa
You must use 1LE rotors if you want to retain the bolt pattern. 92 Camaro calipers won't fit because they use a smaller brake pad-D154 vs. D52. You can use 70-81 Camaro calipers (1/16" wider than the Caprice w/12" brakes)for the job, too. I opted to retain the 5 on 5 bolt pattern so I used regular Caprice calipers. I think the part numbers Warren used is for A-1 Cardone reman. stuff. The OEM calipers for the 1LE swap are PBR dual piston aluminum and can be adapted fairly easy to our G-bodies but the brackets for the spindle are dis-continued now. You can buy the complete loaded kit through Autozone (P4747 I think) but what good is it without the right brackets? -Jabin

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
mac daddy said:
Warren/Tommy, Will the the 92 Camaro calipers and rotors work with this combo. Or YOU must use 1981 Camaro. Tommy what part numbers are your rotors/calipers from?

Lemme reprint this from the previous page.:

Here ya go:

Spindles and calipers are from 78-90 full size Caprice, Caddy, Delta 88, and Pontiac. Typically wagon, police or with HD towing package.

Brake calipers, (1)#18-4021, (1)#18-4020

Brake flex hoses, #BH36848

Brake caliper hose bolts, #483-205

Brake pads, # D52

Brake rotors, 1LE, #5994

Wheel bearings, 1LE inner, #BR6

Wheel bearings, 1LE outer, #BR3

Bearing seals, 1LE, #19753

Hub grease caps, 1LE, #13977

If you're tearing down the steering too, here's the part #s:

Tie rod, inner, 78 Malibu, #ES2034L

Tie rod, outer, 78 Malibu, #ES2033R

Centerlink, 78 Malibu, #DS909

Idler arm, 78 Malibu, #FA1013

Ball joint, lower, 78 Malibu, #FA3000

The tubular upper A-arms required should have ball joints already installed.

Tommy

79Elky

Amateur Racer
Feb 6, 2006
SW Connecticut
members.dandy.net
Dunno just how long Robert Adams has been doing his G-parts business, but he's a frequent player on Ray Buck's Elky reflector. He's a good guy and very knowledgeable. I haven't bought much from him but what I have, arrived soon enough with no problems. He's up-front and will tell you exactly what his stock and shipping times are.

A

Anonymous

Has anybody experienced,after the conversion, at top end when the car is slowing down it starts to sway and waunder ? I also installed the Trick Springs.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!