3800 Series II

A

Anonymous

Well, I fell onto a nice subject here.

Series II/III 3800's can bolt up to a 4L60, thats what the 3800 Fbody's have.If you wanted to do a manual as well, I remember reading somewhere that, '94-'95 2.2 4 cyl Chevy S10 pickup bellhousings bolt DIRECTLY to the 3800 (no drill needed ;) ) But, you need some "custom" hard parts in a cedrtain trans to make it work...never went that route so never researched. :oops:
The FWD Eaton M90 S/C ~can~ be made to work, BUT you need to cut a fair size section out of your firewall to bring a smooth transitioning 180* elbow from the front of the car (or wherever you have the filter) to the inlet of the TB (which faces the back of the car). A reg. Fbody 3800 wil work in any RWD car, It's been done before and, I plan on doing it to my wagon. Hell, if I can run low12's-high11's (yes, in the quarter mile) with my FWD GP Series II 3800 setup....I definatly feel confident that the 3800 will work just fine in the ol' wagon....especially since I'll be using a pair of p/p'd head, big'r cam, and a nice pair of headers (from a Fbody 3800).

I probably didnt answer all your questions so, if you got anymore....let me know. I know quiet a few tricks on building a 3800 to run pretty fast, and some ideas on how to get em to fit in a G Body.

Good luck,

Shawn

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
seen78wagon said:
Well, I fell onto a nice subject here.

If you wanted to do a manual as well, I remember reading somewhere that, '94-'95 2.2 4 cyl Chevy S10 pickup bellhousings bolt DIRECTLY to the 3800 (no drill needed ;) ) But, you need some "custom" hard parts in a cedrtain trans to make it work...never went that route so never researched. :oops:

Shawn

Why not just get a t5 from a v6 f-body?

Ive got a 3800 out of a 97 firebird and would love to make it run but dont know enough about efi to even know what questions to ask, but I guess Im going to try anyway, lol.

What are the fuel pump and line requirements? Ive got a factory computer, is there someone that can program it to take eveything off I dont need? Ive got a stock harness but I think that it has several plugs that go to the dash, what do I do with these? What would it take to make one of these engine run on a test stand with the factory harness and computer? Is there a good site to ask these questions?

Putting this engine in my 62 special doesnt scare me at all but trying to make it run does. #-o

A

Anonymous

Here's a web site with a lot of useful information.

http://www.l67swap.com/

It is VERY posible to have your PCM modified to turn off anything you dont want AND not have a "service engine soon" light on.

I have a '97 Pontiac GP with a '98 PCM, and had to modify a '97 GT harness to work with a Supercharged 3800 (bypass valve) '98 PCM and all the emissions equip. (EVAP, EGR, ect) shut off, and I still pass inspection so you would def. be fine. :D I also put a supercharged 3800 in a '96 GP. So, I've got some experience with this matter.

You would probably make things easier on yourself if you sold the '97 harness and picked up a '98 harness. Reason being, the '97 has its problems with access/tuning. Also, the knock sensor is ON the PCM. '98 is the best PCM/harness to play with (hence...why I run one.) As for what sensors you WILL need...they are, Crank Sensor, Cam sensor, Knock Sensors, the MAF sensor (unless its "Speed Density"), MAP sensor, the ICM connection, the fuel injector connectors, O2 sensor (you can turn off the post cat. O2(s) ) Then, you're left with A LOT of stuff to shut off...lol. As for who can do it....Anyone with a tuner program. There's quiet a few people out there now that can get into PCM's. Most "dyno/tune" shops can hook you up. Someone that knows what they're doing with a home setup (laptop/program) could do it. Two programers that I know of are, HPTuners (REAL good), and the one I own which is 3800/3100/3400 ect specific is, Digital Horsepower's, "DHP Powrtuner." (which I have and use)
All this talk, got me into wanting to start my 3800 swap into my Wagon....lol :lol: 8)

If you got anymore questions PM or reply...check that site for sure too.

Good luck!

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
Thanks for the link.

man thats alot of stuff #-o

I dont even know what half that stuff is or looks like, much less what it does. I think that I should stick to a carb and hei for now, I have enough problems with these.

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
Here check this out... http://hometown.aol.com/powertrip186/index.html
A guy swapped a L67 supercharged in his g body olds.

l67cutlass.78.jpg

A

Anonymous

Forgot about this thread...^^^Yeah, that's the guy that is motivationg me to put a 3800 in my wagon. I have a full 300+Whp S/C engine ready to drop in....someday.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts