5.3 swap, have questions about spacing

Fatkaz10

Daily Driver
Oct 26, 2011
Mapleton, IL
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and I just started with an LS swap into my wagon. I'm going to be running the existing 200-4R trans and I would like to retain the original mounting position of the trans, is this possible? In doing some searching I found the the 4L80e flex plate will let me adapt to the TC, but I haven't found anything about the spacing (where the engine will sit) I will end up with if I use that flex plate. My main concern is that I really need to retain the A/C box, hopefully I can......

bigmandengo

Weekend Racer
Apr 22, 2010
madison, wi
1" setback plates will put you close to stock position. With the 4l80 flexplate you need to run a spacer between the crank and flexplate.

Preacher

Daily Driver
Jan 3, 2012
The trans mates to the block regardless. The spacer (if needed) just allows the nose of the torque converter a place to center.

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
If the spacer goes between the crank and flexplate, how does that effect the starter?
I was under the impression that the spacer went on after the flexplate and was used to hold the center of the torqconverter.

Preacher

Daily Driver
Jan 3, 2012
I'm not sure what everyone else has experienced, but my LQ9 did not have a flat flexplate, mine was "curved" so I got the spacer and the longer bolts. For me the order was crank, then flexplate, then spacer, then bolts. In this way, the starter lines up perfectly because it is the stock location.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts