621 Bell and Fork?

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
Could the geometry of the fork pushrod be altered to fit the location of the fork on a 621 bell and fork? Or does the higher location of the fork interfere with the firewall and transmission tunnel?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I'm not sure if it was a 621 bell I had, but even with using the G-Body fork I had issues, both with alignment and with the fork scraping the floorboard/trans tunnel. I believe there may be a pad where you can weld the old hole and move the ballstud down a little bit to align everything correctly. Check out t5montecarlo's page for some bellhousing info.
http://www.garage-scene.com/t5-into-ag-body/t5_install_bellhousing.htm

There do appear to be some bellhousings you could use for an 11" clutch, but I don't know if they actually accommodate them (didn't read on the bellhousings in detail)...

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
I guess if I ever wanted to go to an 11" clutch, I could just go aftermarket with a Lakewood...

If I ever needed to go with an 11" clutch, I would probably need to upgrade that stuff anyways...

Just thinking, trying to make life easier for us g-body guys...
cause if you could just get an altered pushrod, then we wouldn't need to worry about getting g-body specific bells and forks...

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
It is not the pushrod that is the problem. The problem is the fork. The regular bellhousing and straight fork will interfere with the floor pan.

I speculate that GM moved the ballstud so they could drop the end of the fork while keeping the window in the same place. That hotfix must have been cheaper than moving the window. In 1982, they moved the window and used a straight fork in the F body and later again in the Y body, but by that time, the manual tranmission was no longer available in the Malibu.

Fortunately, you can use these later designed bellhousings, as discussed on my bellhousing page.

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
ya, that was my main question is if the fork interfered with the floor/firewall...

I figured that if it didn't, then the pushod could just be altered to fit.

Ever looked to see how much the floor would have to be pushed in to get it out of the way? Do you think this will interfere with the interior since it would be pretty close to the gas pedal at that point.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Even if you clearanced the floor, the lower pushrod would not be pushing perpinduclar to the fork and would cause the release bearing to scrub/bind on the bearing retainer.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts