Air pressure question.

Garage Hound

Frequent Racer
Jun 22, 2005
Independence, MO
I recently installed a new pair of MT ET Streets on my Malibu. These are 275/60/15. I started out smoking the tires 300 feet or better, and had 2.50 plus 60-foot times and 15 sec. ET's due to excessive air pressure. I now have the pressure down to 16 lbs, and my 60-foots have been brought down into the 1.90 range, and ET's have improved to a best 12.91. I still think I can do better. My question is: How low can I take the pressure down. Some guys have told me these tires suck when they are new, and they are best just before they wear out. The car is going down the track with no handling problems so far. I just don't want to push my luck without some advice. In case it helps, I am running the bone-stock 7.5 rear. I have stock springs, but I run air springs (currently set at 12 psi on the left, and 7.5 psi on the right). I also run Comp. Eng. adjustable shocks, currently set at 50/50.

Thanks for the help, Jay

Garage Hound

Frequent Racer
Jun 22, 2005
Independence, MO
Just an FYI. I lowered my pressures Wednesday to 12 lbs. Car hooked excellent after a 7-8 second burnout. Car also went down the track and had no driveability problems. Still have not heard from anyone on this forum as to how low you can take the pressures on this particular tire. I just don't want to tear anything up. Anyone??

Thanks,
Jay

Austin79

Frequent Racer
Oct 18, 2005
Memphis
I can tell you I tried 12.5 on mitches car once and it about tore it off the rim,but im not sure what kinda power you have,just have someone watch the tire when you leave,becareful

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts