brace on rearend housing

bbaehr22x

Dragway Regular
Mar 21, 2005
North Ridgeville, ohio
So I have broken 3 ring and pinions in the last three years, which got me thinking. Is it possible that the rear end housing is flexing and causing this to happen? Should I have a brace installed on the housing to help reduce or eliminate the flex? I have a Moster 9" housing, so it isn't as weak as a stock housing. If the housing has been flexing enough to cause a problem, is it possible that it is tweaked and needs repair? Thanks for your help.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
If you're breaking 9" ring & pinions, there's something else going on. Really big, sticky tires? Manual trans or trans brake? Sounds like you're shocking the rear...

Tommy

bbaehr22x

Dragway Regular
Mar 21, 2005
North Ridgeville, ohio
29.5x11.5 tires, and yes I use a transbrake. 3300 lb with me in it, 1.40 60ft. Yes it is shocking the tire, but not like others are. The car is setup with ladder bars and coilovers. I had a friend driving my car before it broke, and he said that the suspension is really stiff, and does not transfer the weight. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I just realized I spelt Moser wrong in my first post. It is a Moser 9", not a Moster.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Are you using the ladder bars in conjunction withthe stock four link suspension? if so, the ladder bars are doing nothing. They may even be causing the bind your friend noticed. A bound up rear suspension in itself shouldn't cause r & p damage, but I bet it doesn't help. Maybe the suspension is loading & unloading at launch because of the lack of suspension travel, repeatedly shocking the r & p.

Tommy

bbaehr22x

Dragway Regular
Mar 21, 2005
North Ridgeville, ohio
No, the stock suspension was removed when the ladder bars were installed. But that would be a great laugh to see, if it was the case. The suspension being stiff is simply the shocks being set to tight, front and rear. The car drives out smooth, with very little movement, and no bouncing. The car works great for bracket racing, it just has this problem with breaking gears.

Pretty much I have learned that if the housing is flexing, it would not cause the problem. I have had a couple people tell me that I should be using a pro gear, not a street gear, but others tell me the street gear is fine and should not break like it has. I have checked the driveshaft angle, and pinion angle, and everything is fine, but I will recheck everything when the car goes back together for the spring. Until I get the rearend apart to inspect the gear, I do not have an answer for it breaking. I may consider a pro gear, and possibly going to a Motive gear instead of the Richmond, which is what i have always ran.

bbaehr22x

Dragway Regular
Mar 21, 2005
North Ridgeville, ohio
Examples, because I don't want you to think I would do still have the stock suspension, with ladder bars.

malibu024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I kind of figured as much, but I have seen ladder & slapper bars on stock 4 link setups...

Don't know what to tell you. Drag race gears are metallurgically much "softer" than street gears, which makes them less prone to breakage, but more prone to wear...

Tommy

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
If the same person setup the last 3 gearsets for you , I'd start there. No offense if it was you, btw. Too loose a pattern will absolutely cause ring and/or pinion damage. I experienced this myself after I let a "buddy" install a new Richmond r&p in my old Grand National 8.5 inch rear. At the time, I had a 400 hp small block in it, and was running only mid 12's. I launched on the street pretty hard, and sheared a tooth or 2 off the ring gear. Took the rear out, and inspected it, and found a TON of play in the gear mesh pattern. Should've read up and did it myself! Just an idea, though...

bbaehr22x

Dragway Regular
Mar 21, 2005
North Ridgeville, ohio
malicad said:
If the same person setup the last 3 gearsets for you , I'd start there. No offense if it was you, btw. Too loose a pattern will absolutely cause ring and/or pinion damage. I experienced this myself after I let a "buddy" install a new Richmond r&p in my old Grand National 8.5 inch rear. At the time, I had a 400 hp small block in it, and was running only mid 12's. I launched on the street pretty hard, and sheared a tooth or 2 off the ring gear. Took the rear out, and inspected it, and found a TON of play in the gear mesh pattern. Should've read up and did it myself! Just an idea, though...

Great thought, but I have had three different people set them up. First was someone that has been running a auto repair shop for probably 20+ years, and has set up all his own for the multiple dragsters they have own. The second was a die hard ford guy that has been working on them for many years himself. The last was a guy that teaches an auto tech class at a vocational school, and also works on cars out of his garage. I find it hard to blame any of those guys, but anyone can make a mistake, so it could be possible. I have been considering doing it myself, it is just hard to find the time anymore. So I am either going to take it back to the last guy who set it up, or a friend that is another die hard ford guy.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
is it teeth that are busting off? Or is the pinion shaft broken?
brian

BTW- i'm looking at your picture and it appears that your frame rails are not modified or narrowed? Do those tires fit inside your fenders? Looks like a very simple, functional setup.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts