brace on rearend housing

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
malicad said:
If the same person setup the last 3 gearsets for you , I'd start there.

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't have the guts to ask... :oops:

Tommy

bbaehr22x

Dragway Regular
Mar 21, 2005
North Ridgeville, ohio
prairiehotrodder said:
is it teeth that are busting off? Or is the pinion shaft broken?
brian

BTW- i'm looking at your picture and it appears that your frame rails are not modified or narrowed? Do those tires fit inside your fenders? Looks like a very simple, functional setup.

The frame rails were cut right behind the body mount, and moved in 4.5". The tires fit nicely inside the fender, without rolling the lip.

bbaehr22x

Dragway Regular
Mar 21, 2005
North Ridgeville, ohio
LS6 Tommy said:
malicad said:
If the same person setup the last 3 gearsets for you , I'd start there.

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't have the guts to ask... :oops:

Tommy

Haha, you didn't have the guts to ask that, but you asked if I was using the ladder bars with the stock supension! I won't get affended, I can miss the obvious things. Thats why I asked here, to see if there is something that I have missed.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
I would definitely go to the Pro Gears. I run Richmonds in mine. I leave at 4600 off the trans brake and have not broken any in my 12 bolt.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
You shouldn't be killing a set of street gears with a 1.40 short time off a brake. Like Prairie asked up above, what is it that's breaking?

bbaehr22x

Dragway Regular
Mar 21, 2005
North Ridgeville, ohio
Supe said:
You shouldn't be killing a set of street gears with a 1.40 short time off a brake. Like Prairie asked up above, what is it that's breaking?

The first one that broke had a tooth or two broke off the ring gear, along with the the housing that holds the small bearing for the end of the pinion (stock case). I found everything before it really let go. The second one appeared like it may have broke the pinion support first, but then broke several teeth on the ring and pinion. I have not taken this last one apart yet, but it was humming like it had a couple teeths broke before it let go. Since I was able to drive it around in the garage, I am going to guess that it has alot of broken teeth. This one, like the second one, let go right off the line.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
Get a good quality aftermarket center section. I've seen a few pictures of guys breaking the stock case. It may be flexing and causing your gears to deflect (push apart from each other) then it either breaks the gears or the case. I run a strange pro-case with a detroit locker and 35 spline axles and am happy with it so far. You are running much bigger tires and more power so a good case is even more necessary.
brian

bbaehr22x

Dragway Regular
Mar 21, 2005
North Ridgeville, ohio
prairiehotrodder said:
Get a good quality aftermarket center section. I've seen a few pictures of guys breaking the stock case. It may be flexing and causing your gears to deflect (push apart from each other) then it either breaks the gears or the case. I run a strange pro-case with a detroit locker and 35 spline axles and am happy with it so far. You are running much bigger tires and more power so a good case is even more necessary.
brian

When the last one broke, I bought the Strange nodular iron case. I am hoping that this one didn't break that case.

bbaehr22x

Dragway Regular
Mar 21, 2005
North Ridgeville, ohio
I finally got the rearend apart, and here is the damage. The ring gear has one chunk taken out of one tooth.

photobucket-112823-1353720842466.jpg

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
ya, i'd say there's a problem. And it did the same thing before you got the strange center?
brian

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts