Burnout with a 400

footbrake

Dragway Regular
Feb 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
What about just a basic stock 400 transmission with a trans-go shift kit in it?

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
injected said:
footbrake said:
I usually do a 1-2 gear burnout, but was told that's no good for a turbo 400 and I should do a 1-2-3 gear burnout. What's the story here? Was told that 2nd gear is a weak link coming out of the burnout box. Thanks
ha ha ha :lol: Dont beleive everything you ear !! If you have a proprely prepared trany, it does not mater in what gear you are . transmission-wise, a stock transmision as a slow down band that is aplied in 1rst gear.But most of you guys have built transmission that had their band discared ,so does not mather.For stock transmission,first gear for sure.For all other,what ever you need for the right burnout !

Good point, but are you saying if you haven't discarded the band, first gear burnouts are fine? I have a full race prepped trans with rollerized bearings that has band apply (no downshifting because the band is always applied to the drum, but allows engine braking). ATI told me to do a 2-3 burnout, is that just because of the band apply? Not trying to hijack the thread, just generate enough discussion so we can come to a conclusion for different transmissions.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
this always confused me. i have a 350 with a trans go shift kit. i have no choice but to start it in first as i do not have a manual valve body. how is it any different going through all 3 gears during a burnout than it is to accelerate through them all down the track?

injected

Frequent Racer
Dec 21, 2006
Quebec , Canada
Well to be truthfull i never had an ATI trans. ATI are hardcore transmision builders and if they tell you something about their product ,you should consider it . I was talking about stock trany. Even a transmision with only a shift kit should do realy good cuz you are reprograming your trany and boosting pressure . Every company that makes valvebody dont make them all the same. Some have preference for usage of trany beacus of their mods.For a stock trans that as only a shift kit or not, it has a band applied in first gear so it is stronger in first gear thus stronger . For sure if you got a realy strong engine with realy sticky tires and you are shifting to 2 or 3 your are going to kill it . It all depens of the mods done not the brand or kind of trans. As for a built trans that uses the band , it is realy stronger in first gear usualy but like i said they are not all the same. Your builder should have the receipe for you ! :mrgreen:

Hitman

Dragway Regular
Oct 15, 2004
OKC
aside from the trans issues, why would you just want to sit there with your engine up, and not much wheelspeed. Get on the gas, get it in high, and get out of the water. Long, slow goofy burnout....or a short, hard, effective burnout?

toxicbu

Frequent Racer
Feb 25, 2009
romeoville il
my 400 is built and was told to break the tires loos in 2nd and do burn out in 3rd. and use type f fluid. but with the stock 400 and shift kit in my monte i ve dun multiple 1 2 3 burnouts and 4 years later no problems. BLOW OR GO..

I break them loose in 2nd, then shift to 3rd.

As I hear the r's start to drop, sticky tire, release the line lock and roll out in 3rd.

Another thing is go back to neutral before you stage.

Agian, I rolled up in 3rd, downshift to neutral, blip then throttle once or twice, back into first and then stage.

Going from high to 1st and launching without "clearing" the trans is supposed to do bad things!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts