calling all alcoholics...considering running alky need help

A

Anonymous

CutlassRacer said:
Yes there is a slight increase in power, even more so in a combination that is overcammed. Not worth the hassle in my opinion.

so what kind of pick up did you see when you used alky? what did you run it in?

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
The alky will help a low compression or over cammed engine the most on the low end.
5% HP increase at the top, IF you have big compression, so there is 25 HP for a 500 HP engine.

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
Not in anything of mine, but my first 406 was a recovering Alky circle jerker engine.
Guy put the late model da roof one time too many. 8)

Hitman

Dragway Regular
Oct 15, 2004
OKC
My malibu is on alky, our malibu wagon was on alky last year, my brothers cutlass is on alky, my good friends impala is on alky.

Sounds like you've made your mind up to stay on gas, and unless you're willing to really step some stuff up in certain areas, that is probably a good decision.

Alky is awesome, and I don't think I could have won track championships in S/Pro without it. It's hard to win with a 10.30 car over the course of a year in a class of 7 second dragsters, but my car was so good on the dial, I was able to get it done. My dragster is on gas btw...EFI at that.

The draining the tank stuff is all hooey, and if somebody says you have to, they're full of it. My car has sat since about last August, and I haven't touched the fuel system other than to put my 750 Rupert on, and take my 950hp off. I guarantee it will start and run just fine. It is a little hard on fittings if you don't put lube in your fuel, and you let the system go dry.

Problem is.....right now alky is expensive...and with the amount you use, racing gas is cheaper currently.

chilli

Dragway Regular
Jul 9, 2003
Indianapolis
Hitman, carb or toilet? Just curious. I have been looking at alky for when the wife tells me to quit traveling with the NMCA and run the local brackets.

If a carb do you have a favorite builder?

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
Rupert, they seem to be the carb of choice.

Hitman

Dragway Regular
Oct 15, 2004
OKC
I run carbs, and have had Ruperts, a Mike Young, and troy scott tuned carbs. My troy scott 950 is what I've always ran on my car, and it's been a champ. I"m putting the Rupert on it, just to see if I can get it to react off the footbrake a little better.

Rupert and APD are the two big names, and both can build you an awesome carb.

Two words for a pretty stout alky burner....Belt Drive.

slighltly less potent and you can run the big holley mechanicals, it's what's on the wagon, my brothers car and my friends car...although hers needs a belt drive in the worst way

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts